"high" grass cut heights in dry periods?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Although its raining like crazy in jersey this month"s", what is the "normal" cut height of most of your customers lawns in inches?

I cut "low" lawns that dont grow much usually at 3" or maybe 3 1/4"

I cut taller lawns or thick lawns at 3 1/2 or 3 3/4" height

I dont cut anything in the 2.xx range or 4" or higher range.

I plan to start mulching most lawns " for appearance reasons" should I cut higher like 4" or more?
  2. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

3.5-4.4...Is where i cut,,,its alll cool season grass though...But I do have one customer...started at 4" and it looked great ...today i cut it shorter at 3.5 what the lady requested...the only problem was the grass was at 6 " ...So there was alot of clippings...so i went over it again to blow all the clippings out to the hay field...than it looked ok
    The old rule of Thumb...Is never cut more than a third of the blade at once.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

My cutting heights range from 2.5" to 5" and that's considering I cut warm and cool season grasses.

No cool season cuts under 3" and really that is too short should dry weather strike.
    I had a bunch that looked great at 3"-3.25" until drought came along.
    They FRIED... and meanwhile the taller lawns looked fine.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

right now we are at 3.25, 3.5 in July and August
  5. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

3.5" on everything - it seems to work well.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I cut depending on the property and the weather. I have a few that are cut at 3" and I have some that are cut above 4". In the last couple of weeks it's been dry/high temps and some full sun poor grass areas have been on the verge of dormancy so I upped the cut above 4" for most.
  7. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

Everything is cut high: 4"-4.75". Unless if someone requests a shorter cut. Plus, I side discharge everything, and the taller grass makes the clippings less visible. Some extremely tall lawns do require triple cuts to make things look nice.
  8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I plan to cut a few of mine 4" to 4 1/2" soon, just since its very sunny but raining weekly, they grow fast and hopefully this will keep the mess of 3" cut off down.
  9. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

As a rule, for fescue I cut at 3.5", except for those who request it cut shorter (even though I try to persuade them otherwise), and then I go down in 1/2" increments until it looks good to them, but I try to cut everything as high as I can without complaints. It's just better for the lawn because it can devote more energy toward root development, and the deeper the roots go the more drought resistant it is.
  10. greenoasis

greenoasis LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

You can also have your customers cut back to watering 2 or 3 times a week. Then on the days they do water, have them water for a longer period of time then they normally would when watering every day. This will also help the roots grow and make the grass more drought tolerant.