High-Grass Mowing, tell your story

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by dmcdade, Jun 11, 2009.

1. dmcdade

dmcdade LawnSite Member

Yesterday I had a high grass mow scheduled at noon. Shortly before, my helper Juan was called by the police telling him his wife was in jail! Ouch. So I dropped him off and went to do this cut that I schedule for 3 hours for two men by myself. It ended up taking me 4.5 to 5 hours but all is well. What was supposed to be a 8 hour day turned into 13 though so I was pretty tired and still am..lol

Here's some pic's at the bottom of this web page.

Grass Max Hieght: 6-7 ft.
    Grass Min Hieght 2.5 - 3 ft.

http://timberlaneyards.com/highgrass.aspx

2. mikewhit1010

mikewhit1010 LawnSite Senior Member

Go to pictures forum and check out "Some High Grass" that is my forum. It tells me stories.

3. gatormowing

gatormowing LawnSite Member

Just curious, but what did you charge for that job? You bag and haul the clippings?

4. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

here is on i did for my mother in-law

[​IMG]

5. B.K.'S Lawn Service

B.K.'S Lawn Service LawnSite Member

On your website it said that you charge $60.00 per hour to cut tall grass. Now if you had two guys there with you is it $60.00 per hour per man or $60.00 per hour total. If it is $60.00 per hour total i dont think it would be worth putting the stress and wear and tear on the equiptment.:dizzy:

6. alltoroformetwo

alltoroformetwo LawnSite Member

I wouldnt mow that for any amount of money.

7. dtelawn

dtelawn LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Sorry I don't have any pics but that grass doesn't seem like too big of a deal.
    I can not count how many times I have cut stuff like that. My 52" Exmark with mulch kit handles tall grass with no problem. I make about three passes, each at a lower level. If you do this, the equip does not take a beating. Just price the extra time in the job.

8. SoGro

SoGro LawnSite Member

It seems strange that you would go looking for those type of cuts. Lot of wear and tear on those mowers. Do you start a regular service once you have mowed it down or are you just mowing a few times a year. I could make just as much money by cutting more better quality yards and save my equipment

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I learned my lesson cutting lawns like that. I ruined the bearings in my spindles in less then 100 hours.
    Posted via Mobile Device