1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

High grass question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Garagedude, May 29, 2008.

1. Garagedude

Garagedude LawnSite Member

Whats the best way to get rid of the dead grass after I mow? I have my deck as high as it will go but I have to much grass laying on top of the uncut grass after I mow. What is double cutting? Would this help get rid of the extra grass? I don't want to bag it?
  2. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

double cutting is exactly that cut it again right after cutting it the first time and yes it should cut it up a little finer and not be so noticable
  3. Garagedude

So you don't lower the blade more then? guess thats obvious from what you said, I think.
  4. Garagedude

would gator blades help?
  5. Steve Swail

Steve Swail LawnSite Member

Are you following the 1/3 rule (i.e. cutting frequently enough so that you are only taking off 1/3 or less of the grass length)? Cutting more often would most certainly help limit the amount of clippings left on top. The mulching blades will help but would work the best if you have a mulching kit (no side dicharge) on the mower you are using. Good luck to you....
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

What I know, other than not letting it go that long :p
    I HATE bagging, I haven't bagged a lawn in years and I cut grass ...
    I have an acre lot, that stuff is pretty thick and I let it go sometimes 3-4 weeks,
    my lawn comes after my customer's, some of them get away from me, too.
    When it's really bad I might get minor clumping, yes...
    But never in the past several years has any of my lawns ever gotten badly clumped.

Cutting the entire yard more than once certainly helps, but there are certain key issues that one needs to be aware of, specifically not just clumping but the dreaded matting down of the clumps. That is, once it clumps so bad it mats down into the soil and when it gets like that there is nothing doing that I know of. That stuff will just, well, I don't know how to describe it but once a clumpy lawn matts down on you I guarantee you will not forget this anytime soon :p

Then it depends on the mower, most of mine I can make 3-4 passes before that dreaded matting stage, remember if it mats I haven't a clue as to what to do except you are in DEEP. Also I use high lift blades exclusively, I want DISCHARGE.

Every single pass after the first one helps relieve what you speak of, but you only have 3 maybe 4 total. It takes practice but as a rule IF during the second pass you can foresee that the 3rd and 4th is not going to fix the problem you need to use an alternate tactic, called windrowing.

Windrowing is a farming tactic similar to bagging in that you're going to deal with the clumps by removing the excess grass, but without the use of a bagger... Windrowing is performed by using the side discharge of a mower in such a way that you make piles of these clumps, the higher the grass the more piles you will have to make. In its most standard form windrowing makes rows, as in if you were to cut straight lines... But to make piles you cut in circles with the discharge facing center, only works with side discharge mowers, and it helps greatly if you cut the center part first.

Then once you have your piles in place, use a rake and a tarp and be dang careful how heavy you load that tarp LOL! Now it is back breaking work to do it like that, but it is far more efficient than bagging. I've done some terrible jobs like that, windrow the clippings into piles with the mower, then rake and tarp them, hard work but it's fast and effective.

Or don't let it get away from you.

Good luck.

Other notes: With the exception of once the temperatures rise above 90, I double cut all of my lawns.
  7. Garagedude

I only have two customers besides my own grass. The one customer I cut once a week and it grows so fast I always have lots of grass laying everywhere. sub division won't let you blow it in the street, can't leave it on sidewalk, don't want to bag it. I tryed double cutting, didn't help that I could see. I took a blower and spread it out best I could.