1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

high hours on Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yardfarmer, Apr 24, 2006.

1. yardfarmer

yardfarmer LawnSite Member

what kinda hours are you guys gettin outa your z mowers, mine has 2000 and it still runs great and i dont know how much longer it will keep chuggin along!
  2. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

4000-5000 hours seems to be the life expectency
  3. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

My ZTR now has around 20-21 hours on it. It had 4.7 when delivered to my dad's house. This means I have only put 16 hours on it in 2.5 weeks of mowing. This makes it sound like I don't do much, but I have really been quite busy. It's amazing how much time it cuts off. Is there a way to figure trade-in value, for future reference. Are there formulas for Hustler and other brand dealers. I imagine my Hustler is worth more at a hustler dealer. I imagine the first Hustelr in that sentence is worth more because I capitalized it. Thanks.

-Nick Howard
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Life expectancy depends on how the mower is maintained. I have seen gas powered Dixie Choppers go well over 4,000 hours when taken care of but a friend of mine had a Gravely 260Z that he killed in under 2,000.

The most I've ever gotten was 1300 hours from my first Dixie. I sold it at that point. A guy I know was selling his Dixie Chopper that only had 29 hours for $4500 so I bought it. I then advertized a little (very little) and sold mine for $3800. So I got to use my first Dixie for 4 years and it only cost me 700 bucks.

I think an average lifespan for most ZTRs would really be in the 3 to 4 thousand hour range. It's probably around that age that you start replacing the hydros, engines and other major parts.
  5. nboroPOWER33JR

nboroPOWER33JR LawnSite Member

if you keep them tuned up ive seen 4000-8000
  6. dc33

dc33 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Ive got 1700 on mine, bout 800 or so a year, so I got a couple years left.

My engine has been fine so far, had some belts crap out and a hydro pump blow, but so far so good :) The spindles just crapped out too 2 weeks ago, 2 1/2 years old. I bag up leaves with it, so it gets a lil more abuse then normally I presume.