high lift blades and a chopper...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southarkansascutter, Jun 17, 2004.

1. southarkansascutter

southarkansascutter LawnSite Member

forgive me this may be a dumb question....I have a 2004 DC 25hp 50" cut.... I am having to double cut alot of yards.....I just got thru with a yard and I had to double cut most of it....I just had the rpms turned up (3810 no load) blades were sharpened yesterday....I am presently running the Oregon wide standard lift blades.... my first pass usually leaves stringers...we are having alot of rain lately so the grass is pretty lush.... would hi lifts help this ????? I asked my dealer and he wasn't that informative..... were can I buy some at a reasonable price?????

2. sharpcutter

sharpcutter LawnSite Member

I will tell you this much about my exmark. I bought new high lift blades, which are very thick, and doubled them with standards on top of them. WOW what a difference. Tiny little pieces only. Only had to cut one time per yard today after heavy rain that would normally make me double cut everything. Another plus was that my deck was clean. Those high lifts keep the underside from plugging up, big advantage. Downside to all this is the noise. I thought the blades were loud before and always wear earplugs. But now with high lifts doubled with standards, WOW sounds like an F-15 underneath me.

3. southarkansascutter

I have thought about running doubles....the only thing holding me back is the cost....they want over $100 dollars for the adapters at my chopper dealer..... I am sick of having to double cut everything.....

4. sharpcutter

Oh to better answer your question, yes, the high lifts are defenitily worth every bit of the xtra $1.25 per blade. I got mine from J-Thomas. Was real happy with the high lifts I ordered (8.25 each), but the standards ( 6.97)were thinner than my stock blades. Also got some for my Toro w/b, they were nice also (7.42).

5. sharpcutter

No adapters needed for me, just stacked them, hit them with the impact at low torque setting so as not to ruin a spindle, and away I went. No problems with them moving either. If you dont want to spend the money for the adapters, then just run the high lifts, bet you will still see a difference.

6. southarkansascutter

I ordered a set of regular blades earlier this spring for my old chopper and they were kinda thin.....sold them to the fellow that bought my old chopper... are the hilifts better quality than the standards???? I have to do something....my dealer is getting 16.50 per blade....can't afford that ..... anything special on sharpening hi-lifts?????

7. sharpcutter

Yea, the high lifts from thomas are .24 inch thick. Pretty awesome blades. Sharpen just as any other.

8. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer said to use high lifts if you are bagging and mulching blades if you are mulching. I want to trade my stock blades in for mulching but I still need to bag the odd lawn.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You don't need the adapter. Just put the doubles on in a + arrangement. One over top of the other and torque to 90/95 ft lbs.

10. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member