High lift blades = no stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ThreeWide, Sep 24, 2004.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Things I had read here in the past suggested that high lift blades would help in producing stripes. On my Gravely 36 WB, I recently replaced the standard blades with a high lift. Stripes were good with the old blades, but non-existent now.

When you think about it, striping requires the grass to be laid in the same direction. To me, the concept of a high lift blade would leave the grass pointing upward which produces little or no striping effect.

Has anyone seen the same?

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I had good striping results with Hi-lifts. Theory I guess is that it stands the grass up, then the deck/striping kit does the job of laying it all down in the same direction.

I achieved better results when I went to a hi-lift/gator double set-up.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

i have generally acheived better results with higher lift, although i have used and seen a couple of mowers that actually did better with lower lift. My theory on the how and why is similar to yours, because these machines did not have anything else to contribute to striping. My Ferris, with it it really doesn't make any difference what type of blades i use on it, and there isn't much to contribute to striping except the rear tires and just the way the deck is leveled.... it stripes good all the time.