High Lift Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TnT, May 9, 2001.

1. TnT

TnT LawnSite Member

I was just wondering what high lift blades are used for?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

They pull the grass up harder so that you get a good cut.
  3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

don't want to forget its throws the clippings out better and higher in the lawn,,, less noticable.
  4. Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder LawnSite Member

I put a set of gators on my 52" today and I was not impressed. In fact I was fairly upset. The gators left 2 strips of uncut grass. Yes, they are the right size. They have hardly any lift compared to the standard ones. I put the regular blades back on...no more strips standing. I cannot figure this out. Could it have something to do with less lift?
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Groundpounder, make it double blades. I put the high lifts on bottom and the gators on top. It will cut the grass up much better. Try it, I think you will be happy with that. :)
  6. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

I was not impressed with the regular gators, but Silver Streak came out with a gator hi-lift and a gator magnum hi-lift. The magnum is 25% thicker and has a 40% higher lift. They have an impressive cut. I was wondering if my Great Dane has the power to handle doubles........It has a 25hp kohler on it.
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

depending on your machine, if you don't have high lifts, give them a try. I love mine except in dusty conditions.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

turfguy i love doubles with a kohler 20 so woul think the 25 could handle any combo you wanted to try . later
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Gators just don't generally cut very well by themselves for normal grass. They work well along with a highlift, and are definitely an asset for fall cleanups though.