High Lift vs. regular lift blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by number1dad, Jul 17, 2004.

1. number1dad

number1dad LawnSite Member

What is the difference between high lift and regular lift blades? I use "gator" blades on with my mower with regular lift. Whenever I mow some type of "junk" grass, I am continuously mowing again. This is not very productive. I change to my high lift blades, which are not "gator" and mows with one pass. Are the "gator" blades notorious for this? Can you buy high lift "gator" blades?

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I think they do... Gator Magnums look higher lift. I haven't used either, so I can't say how good they work.

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Try running doubles with the high-lifts on the bottom and the gators on the top.....

Derek

4. number1dad

number1dad LawnSite Member

How do doubles work? Do I need any type of special fittings? I take that the high lifts actually pull the grass up for a better cut?

5. walshdevo10

walshdevo10 LawnSite Member

I go to www.mowproducts.com to get my blades on occasion. Don't know what mower your running, but for my Toro 44" hydro I get the GrassHawg mulching blades. The description says medium lift but they cut as high-lift. I too have a couple of those crap grass accounts and only 1 pass needed with them. They out cut my regular high-lift or if I run doubles because my blade tip speed drops a little with the doubles.

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

high lift blades have a higher "lift" than the regular blades.

#1dad--dude! you already got your answer! HIGHLIFTS! forget gators!

now get out there and cut some grass!

GEO :)

7. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

Why do they leave you having to cut another pass? Is it like a single strip in the grass that goes all the way down?
    Posted via Mobile Device