High lifts or Gators for heavy spring growth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CuttinUP, Apr 8, 2006.

1. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

Would some of you more experienced guys use the high lifts or the Gators for heavy spring growth? Started a new account last week and the grass was a little tall and very thick. I had to go over it again to disperse the clippings a little better. I cut it again today and it has been a week and it was the same way, tall and very thick. Had to go over again this time to spread out the clippings. Both times the high lifts were on and just sharpened each time. But this is the only yard that is like this, she must be dumping the fert to it. I could bag it I am sure, but I don't want to start that.
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

In my experience, it's something you have to learn to live with while cutting with an eXmark.

Once you get outside the element of what the deck likes to cut, well double cutting is the norm.
  3. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

It is cutting all of the grass, not leaving stick-ups and not clumping, but throwing out clippings 4"-5" long and then they are just laying on top of the fresh cut. Might see if she will go for cutting every 5 days just through the spring, plus we have had a lot of rain.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's typical, and the gators are not going to help with that.
    They chop the clippings up a little more than some brands.
    But they still do not chop them up enough.

I'm not beating up on eXmark, I'm just trying to let you know that what you are seeing is typical in my experience. Nothing out of the ordinary and there does not seem to be a solution to it when the job is a strain.

But I feel your pain. The double cutting gets old real fast.
  5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have started running doubles with Hi-lifts and flat sand blades. It so far is working well. The clippings are much smaller and disperse alot easier. There are still some areas that I have to run over a second time but not the entire lawn. I am not using Exmark though.....

6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I normally run gators from April-May, then hilifts from June-August then back to gators the rest of the time.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'd use high lifts. If the grass is the least bit wet, gators will make matters worse with clumping for sure.
  8. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

Yup Rod, same here. The idea is minimize the time the grass is under the deck, period. Cut the grass and blow it out of the deck as fast as possible. Double highs work the best for that for me, too. It seems double "cutting" only makes little balls of wet grass, from the long stringy pieces.
  9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We also like to run doubles in the spring months.:cool2:
  10. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont like the gator blades i tried it on a few mowers and not that good for me.. also you have a trivintage deck on your exmark so you should be ready to do alot of double cutting and triple cutting. they clump up and leave streaks, shoot out wads of grass. only way mine cut nice was when cutting like a 1/2 inch of grass that was really dry. other than that i was always double cutting:clapping: