high octane gas?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by DylanK, May 14, 2006.

1. DylanK

DylanK LawnSite Member

i just bought a new Husqvarna 125 BT backpack blower and it says that i should use at least 90 octane gas... do i absolutely need to? if i dont will it be more likely to overheat and start knocking? also what brand of oil should i use to premix with? thanks

2. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

Yeah definitely recommend 92 - 93 octane in two-stroke equipment. I DO NOT use it in my 4-stroke stuff anymore because of some serious knocking I was getting in my Tecumseh powered snow blower last winter. The octane was too high for the engine which is was causing the knocking, bad idle etc.

OIL: I think the consensus around here seems to be that you can't go wrong with the Echo 2 stroke oil. I just bought a 6-pack of their 2 gallon, 50-1 mix for about 12.00. That seems to be about the going rate locally.

3. DylanK

DylanK LawnSite Member

thanks.. i will run 92-93 octane in my blower.. where can i get the Echo oil and where do all of you get your equipment such as oil, blowers, trimmers, etc.

4. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

I have a couple of local lawn equipment repair/retail centers in my area. Which store I use depends on the brand I'm purchasing. If you have any, try supporting them instead of the big box stores. You'll thank yourself later should you need to go to someone for advice or service.

PS: I'm a homeowner like yourself, not and LCO.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Knocking is caused by predetonation.

Predetonation is fuel igniting from compression before the spark, this will not be caused by high octane fuel.

Contrary to popular belief, high octane fuel is harder to ignite than lower octane fuel.

What you are actually experiencing is a incomplete burn because the engine is not consuming all of the high octane fuel. This will cause it to idle poorly, and even pop (the left over fuel detonating in the muffler).

Run what the manufacturer reccomends, no more, no less.