High Pressure Aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bmac, Apr 27, 2004.

1. bmac

bmac LawnSite Member

OK, folks, sorry to intrude on the commercial forum but when you need a professional's advice, got to go where the pros are.

Saw something on TV recently (not an ad but a something on one of the How-To netwrks) where they were "aerating" a lawn with a piece of equipment that had several high pressure water nozzles that blasted holes in the turf (instead of a mechanical core aerator). the machine was a self-propelled unit that was supplied with a garden hose for the water source. Claimed the nozzles delivered a force of 2500 psi.

Has anyone seen one of these before? What are they called? Appeared to not leave any unsightly cores on the lawn. Claimed to give 4" to 6" penetration. Of course, they weren't using it on my hard Georia clay lawn. I did a Google search but came up empty. Anyone know anthing about this?

Thanks

2. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Hey bmac I grew up in Newnan, small world isnt it. I was home not long ago to see my mom and I couldnt believe how it had grown. We lived out Roscoe road!

3. googles

googles LawnSite Senior Member

the cores left behind after aerating is good for the ground. it a natural layer of top soil. plus it lifting it out and not blasting holes down making the ground more compact.

4. msloop77

msloop77 LawnSite Member

Pretty sure toro makes one for golf course applications. Walk behind, we used them back in Va at Farmington Golf course. Used for doing aeration on the greens. About 4-5 ft wide, you have to walk at a snail's pass in order for the machine to work. Not very practical for very large areas, unless you want to take a few days to do a single yard

5. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Toro makes one but it is about 25 grand for the machine, at least thats what it cost about 8-10 years ago when we bought one. The one that we had was designed for golf courses to reduce compaction, we core aerated as well. One difference in this type of aeration is that the hole about 4" below te surface is much larger than what it is at the suface, it cldbe as large as 2" below. That is allm going to write for now because my computer does not work well with this site(keys do not register and to go back to fill in thmissingletters,des anyone else have this problem)

6. bmac

bmac LawnSite Member

Yeah, on the show the guy was operating the machine very slowly. Probably take all day to do my 1 acre yard. This machine was probably about 30" wide if I remember correctly. And the cost of the machine I'm sure would be high. Didn't know how common these things were for residential use. I'm guessing not very.

7. googleplex

googleplex LawnSite Member