1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

High pressure concern.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PerfiCut L&L, Jul 11, 2010.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

We're new at irrigations and have installed a few small systems without any problems. Used some assistence from the local supplier on the first install but after that, the others we did were prety strait forward.

I have an opportunity to pick up a few larger properties 1 acre + and have a few questions.

The pressure on the system is 120-124 psi, and the meter is inside the house. My first questions is for those in the DC area. Apparently WSSC offers a submeter, for irrigation use. Can anyone recommend an installer?

My second question is, since the customer has a lot of pressure should I plan to install some type of water pressure regulator? There is a long supply run of about 250'-300' to get to a section of the property that is 120'x50'.

All of our other jobs to date have been on properties 1/4 acre or less with 75-85 psi pressures, and we have used 3/4 pvc for supply lines. We plan on using 1" lines with project unless we should go larger. I will be talking with the local rep this weekend for some additional guidance.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Either you employ a brass pressure reducer in the system supply (like a Wilkins BR4) or you employ a master valve with a pressure-regulator built in.
  3. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

ditto on that
  4. adamills

adamills LawnSite Member

having 120 psi through a 5/8 meter will only give you around sixty psi through 1 inch poly or around 54 psi through 1 inch pvc depending on what you use. because of how city water works no matter what you are going to be fine if the meter is 5/8 or 3/4 inch. always safe to open a hose spicket and see if you can even fill a five gallon bucket in 15 seconds that is 20 gpm at around fifty psi "almost perfect"
  5. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Wow man..... You really need to learn basic hydraulics and follow your flow charts

everything you just said is a complete lie
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

As a practical matter, 120 psi is about where I begin to worry a bit about zone valves rated for 150 psi working pressure. If a Wilkins BR4 is set for 100 psi, that should leave enough pressure downstream for good performance, while providing overpressure protection for poly pipe mainlines.
  7. PerfiCut L&L

the hose bib only gave me about 10-11 gpm. It took 27 seconds to fill a five gallon bucket. But the supply feed for the bib is only 1/2" line.
  8. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

One thing to be very wary of (at least here) is many spickets that come off the house are not coming directly from the 3/4 or 1 inch supply line. In many cases (especially in the back of the home) spickets are coming from the indoor plumbing which has already been downsized to 1/2 inch and in many cases it has been regulated by a bell regulator in the indoor plumbing. It is not terribly uncommon for the spickets to all be regulated as part of the indoor plumbing before exiting the home.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  9. PerfiCut L&L

The supply line for the hose bib has been downsized and I am not sure if it is after the house PRV or not. (I dont recall).
  10. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

Where's Mike? He could straighten this out in two words or less.