High pressure concern.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PerfiCut L&L, Jul 11, 2010.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

I expect the submeter to run about $300-$400, the plumber to be $200-$300, Im not sure about the permit but I will be looking into that today?

BTW: The pressure I obtained was both at the hose bib and off the house sprinlker system guage. The sprinkler system gave me a higher reading of almost 130.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Install a pressure regulator. Simple answer to save the life of the products on the system. 120 static pressure, but how about when you get pressure spikes? Could go much higher. Install one and be done with it.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

the Wilkins BR4 has adjustability all the way up to 150 psi as part of its basic design, and once you knock down the pressure, everything else operates as it normally would.

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

where is the meter located?

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

In the basements or crawlspace or utility room. So basically in the house. Small percentage of older homes have a meter in the yard.

6. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

Boots knows what he is talking about here. You need a wilkins BR-4 they are the best irrigation specific pressure reducer.

Fyi, you may need to remove the black limiter to access the full pressure spectrum.

A setup we do a lot around here is a pressure regulator for the house set at 75 psi or so, and a seperate BR-4 dialed in at 90 - 100 psi for the irrigation. This allows the house to max at 75, yet get higher flow and pressure for the irrigation.

120-130 psi is way too high for the house, or the irrigation. I will promise sooner or later they will have problems at those pressures. Seen it too many times.

They will be lucky if they dont flood the house before they figure it out.