1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

High PSI

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by socalkol, Oct 15, 2013.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We quite often see 120-170 before the first PRV. So 200 doesn't surprise me.

2. socalkol

socalkol LawnSite Member

In an attempt to try to clarify that the PSI is actually that high, and where it is, here is a diagram including the pressure readings at the hose spicket right before the valves and before the PRV/entrance to the house.

Also as noted there is a hose spicket on the other side of the house that is fed from the crawl space house lines (after the PRV) measuring 65 PSI

[​IMG]

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Wow! Look at the bright side, you don't need a booster pump. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

i'm with Dana, 60-75 psi is normal around here and what i like to see...i don't like to see the 40 psi BEFORE the back flow...i've seen up to 120 here, and i have problems with that system at least once a year

wouldn't a good solution be to put a pressure regulator in before the backflow?

5. socalkol

socalkol LawnSite Member

The is always a silver lining isn't there :cool2:

So what would everyones recommendation be? move my PRV that feeds the house back before the T that feeds my irrigation line?
    ... Or add a second PRV before my valves after we T off to the irrigation?

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Add a second, that way you can regulate the pressure independently from the house.

7. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Agreed. I have neve seen anything over 129, 200 is nuts. You could run into some problems if the installer took advantage of the high pressure and installed zones too big.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly, like pulling 42 gpm through a 5/8" meter with 118psi static

9. socalkol

socalkol LawnSite Member

Right im sure it will affect my zones... But im tentatively planning to redo half the yards irrigation anyways due to the design by the building appearing anything but affective as I have one zone that is a mix of lawn/shrugs and i always wondered why the lawn was thin there. As well as 60 x 55 ft area that is covered by 3 Rainbird 5000's and appears it should have almost twice that

10. socalkol

socalkol LawnSite Member

Thanks again everyone for your time and help/advice. Will be installing a second PRV and starting the rework tomorrow