1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

High School Kid "selling out"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by procut, Jun 23, 2006.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I know a high school kid who has been mowing for a few years, and now after graduation he wants to persue other things. He came to me wondering if I wanted to buy his accounts, which consist of 24 residentals, all in neighborhoods that I alreay service. However, none of them are under contract. Now I am in the posision to add a few more residentials, so I think it could be a good oppertunity for me. I was thinking 3X the weekly mowing price for each one that agrees to sign with me. Your opinions???

2. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I think it should be ten percent of the cuts for the rest of this year .

3. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

Lets see pay for yards in an area that you all ready mow in ???

This is what i would do , keep doing a good job for the customers that you all ready have in that area. Because we all know how home owners like too talk among the self's. Be patient and just may be some or most of them will wounder down and ask you what your fee is.

In buying accounts you need some type of grantee that they not only will use you but also stay with you during the whole year and not shop around for a cheaper price.

I have never bought any type of aacounts and my best ones came from me getting out there and getting them , leads from other guys in the business just do not seem to pan out, unless you like picking up junk.

4. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

I bought 18 accounts in Feb. for the price of 2 cuttings on each from a fellow getting out of the biz. I have kept them all so far and make excellent money off them. Give it a try, life is a gamble. It was a good addition to my other 150 or so accounts.

5. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

P.S. I have also spent way over what I paid for those accounts in advertising so far this year and still have not even come close to picking up quality accounts like those 18.

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I did the 3x price thing a number of years ago, I kept all of them the first year and dropped only one the second due to a problem with a scumbag not paying me. the others I still service. If they're in your areas then I would say go for it, it'll keep your route tight.

7. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Pay nothing!

There is no customer loyalty in this business when the current lco leaves and a new one takes the place- it's all up for grabs! Even if someone buys those accounts, the customer will have ZERO loyalty towards the new owner.

Sit back and wait. When he sells, fly the neighborhood!

kc

8. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Ask him for the house numbers so you can take a look, then start door tagging each one heavily.

9. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Years ago when i was doing it before, i brought 130 customers people told me to expect to lose 10% over the year i lost one person, make shore you get introduced to each personally some you can build up a good rapport from day one, you may lose one to start with but very unlikely, one of the best ways to succeed is buy say 50 customers when you are starting out(or what you can afford) and you have a strong foundation to start with.....these are usually top notch custs/ pita usually weeded out......check each lawn with him and also the price make shore not under priced, some people sell customers and tell you some could do with a price increase :nono: this is where you lose new customers but putting up the price straight away..:nono:

10. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

thats for sure.the first thing i would be thinking about is the fact that this guy is a teen there is a good chance they may be under priced.if that was the case and you bought these accounts and then put the prices in line with yours chances are you will lose them.my advise is investigate the facts thoroughly