Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Oct 17, 2000.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Im a big believer in high octane gas and may
    have posted about it. The reason for this post
    is that i have a friend who rents honda powered
    equipment. He says absolutly no high test in
    honda engines.So i stand corrected. Input

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

most of the small engine maufac. recondmend low grade and because thats what there set up for,High octane with the price right now . i would think that it sit in the tanks long than the lower grades causeing more problems, i don't run premuim in anything i own ,with the exception of maybe going to the drag strip, an then its "purple gas".
  3. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah Bush we are the same we run low octane fuel in our mowers too, If we are gonna race those mowers though I gotta run the highest octane possible to try to catch those damn dixie choppers!!
  4. tslawn

tslawn LawnSite Member

I've used nothing but low octane, until..... my 25hp Kohler's muffler has decided to burn out. My dealer asked me what type of gas I was using (because of a possible warranty claim). I told him I was using at least 91 octane and he said "Good", because Kohler and/or Gravely won't warranty if I was using 87 octane because that supposedly burns out the mufflers sooner. The mower is not yet 2 years old and had 600 or so hours on it before I noticed the muffler burning out. Can anyone elaborate for me why lower and/or higher octane gas has any bearing on the muffler? May seem like a dumb question but this is greek to me (p.s. I am the wife counter-part to the business). Thanks.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Thats where i found some info on octane and
    how it works.This is how its listed on my
    favorites pge.How mabe i dont know
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

tslawn, How did you know your muffler was burning out, was it getting louder? I think my Lazer EFI may be doing this.
  7. tslawn

tslawn LawnSite Member

Runner, yes the muffler has gotten considerably louder. It started a couple of months ago and my husband noted it and said that he thought the muffler was burning out. Me being the penny pincher that I am said, oh it can wait. Then it kept on getting louder and louder and now I can't use the damn thing without some kind of ear protection. My dealer asked me if the muffler was white. I told them no. That it still looks the normal color but is so loud that it could blow your ear drums out. The dealer told me that if the muffler had in deed been white that they would NOT have covered it under warranty. Thankfully my dealer convinced either Gravely or Kohler that it was a warranty problem so my $260 muffler is covered. By the way, I am using a 1999 Gravely 260ZTR. What your situtaion?
  8. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Well, guess what guys...the octane is simply how much oil is in the gas. The higher the octane, the less amount of oil in the gas. Yes the higher octane of course burns better, but is not good for engines that do not have an efficient oiling system. It is best just to use the recommended octane gas by the manufacturer, Always listen to that if they rcommend a certain octane (it is better for the engine).
  9. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

What is with the gravely warrenty and low grade octane. I have 250 z and 3 walk behinds. Never heard anything about higher octane gas in them
  10. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Oil = Octane !
    Never heard that one befor.