High Visability Vests uniforms Deducting pay

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smarino21, Jun 5, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking of getting this as my uniform what do you guys think

company t shirt with logo
    used work cintas pants ( get on net for like 6$ a pair)
    orange vests
    company hat

You guys tell me what you think also i got 3 guys working for me and i know they wont wash there ****, so i am thinking about taking like 5 bucks a week out to wash the cloths or something like that, also having them buy the uniforms.
  2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I really do not see where you, as the employer, can legally deduct pay from your employees for their uniform cleaning.
    In your employee handout/book/guide, however you want to identify it, require the employees to have clean uniforms daily, neat appearing hair, etc and enforce it as a company policy.
    As a disciplinary measure, enforce the uniform policy by sending the offending employ home with out pay.
    Whatever you do, it must be in writing, be uniformly applied to all employees and conform to your state's employment guidelines.
    What I do with my eight employees is similar to what I describe above.
    They all completely understand my policies and the enforcement associated with these policies.
    I am fortunate, however, that none of my current employees have chosen to be slobs. I have had previous employees who persisted in the actions of appearing for work in soiled uniforms, torn uniforms, unshaven and literally reeking of body odor. Despite all of my counseling, these employees were terminated, and yes, my policy stood up to my state's scrutiny. I was informed that I could not with-hold pay for uniform washing, maintenance or repair associated with misuse was a all together different matter - here I could dock pay without repercussion.
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not sure I'd buy the used Cintas pants or shorts. We use Cintas as our uniform supplier for all my guys, they get 11 prs of long pants, 11 prs of short pants, 11 short sleeve shirts, 11 long sleeve shirts, 2 jackets, 5 hats and I can tell you that when they get messed up Cintas repairs them until they really are beyond repair.....and then that is when they sell them as "used". In the long run you'd be better off to either just use Cintas (it will cost you between $9-$25 a week per employee depending on what you get) or just buy new pants. Also I pay for all employees uniforms once they have been wih me for 2 years, until then I pay half and they pay half. I also provide all employees with orange saftey vest.
  4. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

i was wondering how much cintas would be for say 3 employees, Cost per employee i just contacted them but they have to get back with me (email). I hope i can figure out something cause i dont like my company to look like idiots ya know.
  5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like a real pro opperation you got going on MM

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

lol i usually wear jeans, and like a scag, or redsox shirt, lol