High Wheel Push Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bigfoot, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

Been looking for a 21''- 22'' high wheel trim mower. I need something well built, but not extremely heavy to push. This mower will not be used a lot, just tight areas & steep banks, however this the only mower besides the Lazer that I will regularly carry. It must discharge & mulch. So far about all I have found is the John Deere JS60H. Comments & suggestions welcomed.

2. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Toro also makes a high wheel mower that will mulch, bag or side discharge, self propel - $299
    it has been my experience that on steep banks the high wheel is harder to control

3. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Honda.

No mulch but it actually has a brake for steep hills & avail. hydro.

honda.jpg

4. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Thats a 21" hydro??? What's the price tag on that?

5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

Ultimate Lawn that is defiantly a different breed of Honda than what I am used to seeing. Red Bull would you mind telling me what control problems the high wheels have given you on steep banks.

6. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Maybe control was the wrong word. The only way a high wheel mower can be s/p is by front wheel drive - when going up hill you tend to push down on the handles which raises the front end up -loosing traction. If the hill was gentle enough to mow side ways there would be no need for a walk behind

7. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

That Honda is rear wheel drive & has a brake for steep inclines.

8. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

how many $$$$$$

9. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Redbull, I paid about 2k for the 21" shaft drive & 2.4k for the 24" hydro. I had them imported from the UK

We use them on a few steep inclines on my city contracts where we would otherwise have to use a trimmer. With the brakes & wide discharge they're perfect for overgrown slopes.

honda2.jpg