High wheeled vs low wheeled mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chalfont Lawns, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Chalfont Lawns

Chalfont Lawns LawnSite Member

Quick question.....I'm new to the business, have about 35 small-ish lawns in Philadelphia. I need to purchase a small bagging push mower and not really sure if I should pick up a high wheeled or low wheeled. Like I said, most of my lawns are small, many have small inclines and manueverability is important. Any suggesions would be greatly appreciated. Pro-cons of each? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Note: already have a 22" throw-away mower with low wheels.
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

this is my take. I feel the high wheels put more leverage on the axle/wheel it self and could cause the wheel to break over time. I just picked up a Toro recycler with the normal size back wheels. I think there's something else to it but I can't put my finger on it.
  3. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

a high wheel mower is more manuverable. I know some will argue but the science will tell you the larger wheel will give you better leverage for pivoting the mower . Now my suggestion would be get a good commercial mower. you will notice that these mowrs seem to make a comprmise with a larger rear wheel but not the massive rear wheels of the cheap mowers. . also the commercial mower will have a better engine heavier deck and the wheels will be metal with ball bearings in them. As far as High whell commercial mowers you will only find a couple and these are built for less manicured sitiuations where you need the ability to move the mower deck around with ease.
  4. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

I like 10" (maybe 12") rear wheels on a mower (like Snapper uses). They roll easier than 8", but don't have the problems of the really "high-wheel" mowers (the wheels tend to wobble as they wear, and you have to press down harder on the handle to raise the front wheels to turn--not a big problem when the bagger is full). Also, you can get high quality, ball bearing, steel 10" wheels at the hardware store for cheap to replace the worn out ones.