1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Higher engine RPM

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen quite a few of you on here say you have your engine RPM set at like 3750. I know the advantage of this is a little more blade tip speed, but is it really that much of a noticable difference in performance? Also, is the 3750 set at no load so the engine settles out a 3600 or less with the blades engaged?
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Actually I'm around 3800 no load, and 3760 or so with blades engaged just sitting there not moving.

Just so you know, the EFI Kohlers come governed to 3750 RPM from the factory, and the 27LC Kawi, 27 Daihatsu Diesel, and the 31hp Daihatsu Gas all come governed at 3800 RPM from the factory.

The days of 3600 RPM max engines are being numbered. This increase in RPM's allows the engines to stay in their "Power Band" better when the going gets tough. I can notice a BIG difference in cut between say 3700 cutting and 3500 cutting. NIGHT and day.