Higher Frequency ...Cheaper Price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LoneStarLawn, May 21, 2001.

1. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If a customer wanted to have their yard cut every 4 days instead of every 7 would you offer them a discount? Would you suggest an every week cut with a discount to a commercial property that wants it every 10 days? Lets say the commercial property is $330 for every ten days so would you cut it for $300 for every week?

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if thats what he wants yes.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

EARTH TO LONESTAR--if you could get 330 bucks for cutting a property every ten days (three times in 30 days), why in the cat hair would you take less money (300 bucks) to cut it more often (4.3times in 30 days)?:confused:

4. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok...
    #1 It is on a fixed day...making scheduling easier.

#2 It is easier to cut since there is less time between cuts...

#3 It is an average of $300 more per month...

I thought it was a valid quesion...really didn't think I needed to be brought down to earth....

Oh wait it should be Earth to geogunn...it is $300 PER CUT!!!!

5. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Personally, I would rather make 1290.00 cutting 4.3 times a month, than 990.00 3 times a month........just me though.......(I always give them somewhat of a brake, for more freg. cutting...like buying in bulk...it's the American way)

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

where's that kitty kat ;->
    <br>
    [​IMG]

7. baldbeefman

baldbeefman LawnSite Member

I have a commercial property I mow, that I did that on. I bid it at $250 per mow and I could tell the guy wasn't going for this. He told me he would have to take some more bids. I figured he would have me mow it every 2 weeks (to save money) because it was looking all grown up and he didn't seem to mind. ($250 x 2 per month = $500) Remember he didn't go for this either. So it would probably be even less. Maybe $200 a mow.
    I called him back and told him I could do it for $150 (should've said $175) if I could mow it every week. He jumped on this offer. Of course I double charged him for the first mow and charged extra for trimming the hedges (total $375 first mow).
    I mow every Wednesday, this month the bill will be $750 (5 mows). It now takes me 3 hours to mow, it took me around 4 1/2 the first time to mow.
    If you already have lots of good accounts I would say stick to your guns on price, but if you need some more, its always better to bid high and then come down or make a deal that would benefit the both of you. Always keep the customer happy.;)

8. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I have a few commercial accounts that are every 10 days...I have never had this before and it is causing me a scheduling nightmare...wish I had thought of offering them a bit of a discount for every week...now i am not in that area on the 10th day etc etc...next year I will work something out with them.

9. linky

linky LawnSite Member

I think its a down to earth idea.

10. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you go cheaper if they want to see you more? Did your time suddenly become less valuable? Commercial accounts are usually the first to let you go when the cheaper bid comes in next year. No loyality strickly business. If you are providing a proffesional service and thats what they want they will pay for it. You get what you pay for. If they want sub-par work let them go some where else. Just my opinion. Hope this helps.