Higher HP ZTR Machines - How are they?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PB34, Dec 16, 2006.

1. PB34

PB34 LawnSite Member

I am in the market for another ZTR this spring. I currently use exmark lazers with 27 hp kohler. By far the biggest problem we have in the summer is having to double cut many lawns due to excess clippings clumping all over the lawn.

Do the higher hp mowers help this, possibly the 31 or 35 HP machines?

Any other suggestions on how to avoid all the excess clippings / clumping?

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

your weather was probably just like ours, and if they fertilized it was even worse...... that mower should have no problem leaving a nice cut, provided the blades are sharp...

your not mowing often enough... this year i mowed every 4 to 5 days .the whole danged year.....and still double cut in the spring.....

had to, very wet year, lots of growth...... that is my guess at what is wrong..... :)

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

What dave said. You're not cutting often enough for sufficient clipping dispersal.

Either that or you're cutting when it's wet and I'm not sure more horsepower will help with that, you just have to slow down.

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

more horsepower does not change the size of the particles the mower has to eject nor does is reduce their ability to cling together or to the deck.

A couple of things to try that are way cheaper than a new mower

run doubles on all spindles (I like mid lift over high lift) But results will vary by turf type.

meg mow blades (lighter weight doubles)

scrape the underside of the deck and spray with fluid film, pam, teflon penetrating oil or anything else that will help to reduce sticking to the deck

or

Mow more often

and if you know you are gonna need to double cut, then cut 1/2 off in pass 1 running N-S, lower the deck and cut to finish height in pass 2 running E-W.

Another thing I use is the skip row method.

on the first cut I cut the perimeter cut then cut a row every third mower width (N-S) Then (E-W) cut the grass like normal. The mower width gap acts as a clear out space and usually will prevent clumps and turf turds. It is also a lot faster than truly double cutting.

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

That's a good idea. I'll have to try this next year...

6. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Just slow down when mowing the wet stuff.

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

glad I could help

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes slowing down the engine speed helps too. With the high blade tip speeds we have the wet grass is literally plastered to the side and top of the deck at 200 mph and above. Slowing down the blades does help.

9. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

that mower should have no problem leaving a nice cut, provided the blades are sharp...

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Slowing down the blade speed and running solid lift blades helps.