Higher speed deck stabilizer technique

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Runner, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This was mentioned to me by a mechanic at our dealership, and he said a few lco's in the area have been doing it, so I thought I would give it a try. One of the problems with going over some areas at high speeds, is that the deck starts bouncing. With the right terrain and the right speeds, the deck can even start "dribbling" as the frequency is reached that it bounces radically. All you can do at that point is slow down. Well, what I tried was to wrap the chains in duct tape. This gives rigidity and firmness to the chains and controls the deck from bouncing like that. It stabilizes it and gives better control and less noise and bouncing. I can't believe the difference this makes. It still has give when needed for contour and terrain change, but doesn't flutter at higher speeds - especially on rougher ground.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You must be talking about ztr's but the Toro 48" fixdeck 5-speed wb gets radical in the rough to where it is difficult to even maintain control of the machine as well. Ultimately you have to slow down and that can be hard to do when the machine is bouncing all over but what I found helps is to fill the tires to MAX psi (all 4 plus velke too). Some folk argue this makes it bouncier but I disagree because when the rear tires are at 30 psi and the fronts at 50, there is a lot less bounce when the mower is firm plus I do it for one main reason: The deck no longer 'sinks' towards the ground, instead keeping a stable level and avoiding those dreaded blade-grinding effects. The other thing is the fixdeck is rougher than the float but it sure is a lot less clatter-clank and deck-flight going on: less movement = stabler machine.
    There are no chains, there are no extra moving parts on a fixed deck the entire frame is one piece so the secret is to keep everything tight to prevent things from moving, I believe that movement creates more erratic behavior than stability (kind of like wrapping the chains in duct tape, eliminates some movement).

The last hint I give is remember your yards, there are always parts that no matter what you do: clatter-clank (dang those mole holes are the worst) and if you can remember where the rough spots are, it helps a lot more than attempting to rely on the machine alone.

3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

This sounds like a great tip for those who don't have a Dixie Chopper.