Highest Bid Wins

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Flex-Deck, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Just landed a nice 45 acre job with the highest bid. I have seen a million low ball threads on this site, but in reality, one sometimes has to push the envelope slightly into the lowball area to get a foot in the door. I did that the first year (still netted 60%) on a couple of commercials, and as a result was able to establish a reputation as to quality curb trimming, timliness, attention to detail etc. Now, the opportunities that come up are opportunities that have suffered from low bidders that over extended themselves, or did not have the quality mowers necessary to complete the task on a timely basis.

Also see a lot of $1 per minute stuff. We shoot for $1.50 per minute, not thru bidding by the hour, but by figureing ways to get that much production done at the going per acre rate in this area.

My wife and I will be mowing 160 acres per week this coming summer, part time, and I have a nice contract in the wings that will expire next fall, that will put us at 200 per week, and that will be a nice full time mowing experience.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

no more cavity filling?

3. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

hope you have big mowers and help

4. Lordtimothy

Lordtimothy LawnSite Member

That is what I was thinking. 160 acres is a lot of ground to get mowed. Also depends on what you mean by part time. For me part time means around 20 hours a week and that would equate to 4 acres a hour per person if it is just you and your lady.

Timo

5. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Go look at some of his posts and think about his name. Him and his wife can cover a lot of ground in a hurry. Good luck flex.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I have seen pictures of his equipment and I don't think anybody can touch his ingenuity....he is a bailing wire guy and I'll also bet he has the lowest overhead of any of us. Glad to see you got big contract Flex.

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

That is about exactly what we do when you consider mowing time only. We put about 17-20 actual hrs on the mowers per week. As an example, we have 3 commercials fairly close together that total 41 acres, and it takes us about 6 hrs. Lots of curbs (about 1 1/2 mile worth) and a couple of islands.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Good to hear from you Brad.

Anything new going on with Flex-Deck?

Congrats on the new work, and I'm glad to hear you are finally going to make it to full-time.
    Stay in touch and be sure to come back in a year to update about how you feel about things after the first year of transitioning to full-time.

Good luck