Highest Hours ? for fun

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Grass, Feb 15, 2005.

1. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to get some hi hour bragging as an amusing comparison of brands, maintenance, mowing style, etc. ORIGINAL ENGINE AND HYDROS only please. I have a Walker with GHS, but almost always use a side discharge 52, with 2600 plus hours, that is running like new! Year 1995, and I have the original front tires, and one original back tire still on it. Oh, and it is a Kohler 20 command. I know lots of you have many more hours, and I guess I am looking for a possible confirmation that I can still get many more years out of this machine. payup

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Not exactly hours, but just today I was driving down the highway and there was a little Dodge Neon car in front of me... Had mailbox numbers on the back window that said: 340,000 Miles

Not bad in a Neon! It appeared to run fine, the person driving it had a casual driving style, not aggressive or romping on the thing at all, drove speed limit, etc. My family gets high miles out of our cars too, just maintain them religiously and don't drive hard. 206k original miles on a '92 Ford full size van, 230k miles on a '84 Mercury Cougar, just to name a couple. The Cougar we sold, the van we still have but don't use. My last truck was a '90 F250 and had 196k when i sold it, it had a hard life when i got it at 186k. Sorry a little off topic. :) all of my high hour machines have not had an hourmeter all their life so i have no idea... I have a couple garden tractors I would say have at least 3,000 hrs on them...

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

1988 JD 332 - 16hp yanmar diesel - 5017 hrs. - just sold it to my son-in-law.
    It absolutely runs like new still today.

Still uses no oil - always changed it and filter at 110 hrs. Runs like a charm - only things it needed over the years was one new water pump, and one new generator, and we replaced the three injectors at about 2600 hrs.

Thanks Brad

4. ProSvcs

ProSvcs LawnSite Member
    from MD

Kubota GF1800 - 1800
    Kubota F2400 - 2800
    01 Dodge truck - 170,000 miles
    01 Chrysler Cirrus - 75,000 miles
    95 Grand Cherokee - 155,000 miles

I dont get rid of anything, When I consider it finished, it goes straight to salvage yard.

BTW, Everything still runs and looks great (Kubota's were stripped to frame and repainted his year)

5. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

bump bump bump

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You are starting to run in overtime with your unit. The Kohler guys say 2000 hours is the expected life. We have a 25hp unit that has 3000 and we are hoping that Kohler is wrong. We had two 15hp units that failed at around the 2000 hr but one of the replacement has run 2500 hrs.

7. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

How about a 20 year old JD 36" WB. It has been used commercially for its whole life. I couldnt even tell you the hours on it. It still has the original engine on it. Most of the pulleys and that are still original. The only major thing I replaced were the spindles.

8. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

1996 Walker GHS with 21 kubota Gas 3100hrs. Still used 5 days a week. Replace one gearbox and one hydro and rebuit the starter. Otherwise no other major problems.

9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I have never kept a mower long enough to reach real high hours. I once had a Dixie Chopper that had 2000 hours on it and still had what I thought a lot of life left. It was a 20hp on a 60" deck too (under powered by todays comparison). I think for Gas engines, Dixie Choppers are going to generally last the longest. They come with bypass filter and oil cooler. With that said, don't own a Dixie anymore because I have more needs then a long lasting engine.

I had a 94 dodge ram gasser that almost had 400k miles on it before I totaled it by hitting a poll in a parking lot and the light came crashing down on top of the bab smashing it and the window not to mention the front end damage to the front. I had liability on it because it had so many miles so I put her to rest. I bet that thing would have hit 450K no problem. I put a new clutch and rear end in it but no engine work at all. Mostly highway miles up to 300K and then all city driving towing a trailer.

10. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

My Lazer Z 60" with Ultra Vac and a 23 hp Kohler has 1526 hours and seems to have become a little weak on power in the last 100 hours but overall is performing well, my next mower will be the same.....