Highest priced lawncare area.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grass-Masters, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Lately, me and my wife have been talking about making a move to an area in the south were it is nicer year round. Here in the detroit area it looks like the bottom is falling out with the economy and does not look like it is going to get any better.

I am interested to see what areas people are making a good income on lawncare, I know there is good money in landscaping in many places. I would like to know what people are getting for standard 1/4 acre lots just to cut. I am aware prices will be based on a number of factors, but for example this will be a home based start up lco with little overhead so I am looking for realistic answers to see were in the country there may be a good place to make a move. I would also be interested in knowing if you were to move and start all over again, were would you go and why.

All I need to know is price per cut average, and what major city you are near (example phoenix, las vegas, dallas, houston, atlanta, ect.........) Thank you in advance for your help if you have any input.

2. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

if I were going to move I would get a list of lawn care businesses for sale in several target areas. Try calling some LCOs in an area you target and give them a phoney description of your property and see if they will give you a ball park price. Keep in mind caller Id will show you out of town so get a story that says your moving there soon. Starting from 0 customers is tough enough in your own neighborhood. I would try and buy a small business or some accounts so you can make something while you build clients through time. I would call on repair shops to see if they know something about businesses for sale and how the market is. The problem you'll find is people who lie or will not give an outsider the whole truth. Its a big step that I plan to make when I retire from my full time job but I will have an income to back up my start up. Richard Martin did just that this year maybe he will chime in. Don't expect too many here to invite another competetor into their market by giving away too much info. Good luck!

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Dallas Texas 1/5 ac to 1/4 acre lots with less than 3000 SF of Grass is a typical $25 for mow and blow.

I am commercial and don't do res.

4. laylow1994

laylow1994 LawnSite Member

well im in tampa florida and the going price for mow blow and go about $75-$100 month

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You can easily get $35+ for a 5k lot here in the DC 'burbs...however it's a very expensive area to live in, you could likely do better overall elsewhere...

Plus there's already too many of us here anyway :laugh:

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

How many times do you mow a month in the Tampa area during growing season? Summer? Winter?

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

At a typical 42 cuts in season @ $75 is $21.42 per cut ..... YIKES .... coarse if that's truely mow-blow (no edging-weed eating) ya can pop em out 3-5 per hr .... these are like 2K in turf size

8. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

In this area I can get $35/cut on a typical 1/4 acre lot no problem. There are a lot of 1-3 acre lot subdivisions that I will be targeting this next year. This is a great place to start up. Low cost of living and lots of money in the area due to Wal-Mart and all the Wal-Mart vendors, not to mention it is a beautiful area. If you do a good job, are reliable, and advertise you will get plenty of work here. I went from purchasing 35 accounts in March '06 to having 85 accounts by October '06 and have 115 total as of now to start '07 off with.

9. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say it is probably pretty comparable here. The only problem I have seen here is the likelihood of having things stolen. Even in the ritzy areas, there are still shady people driving around looking for an opportunity.

One other thing to look at is the number of companies that are catering to the areas you are looking at. There are a lot of mowing companies here - both full time & part time.

10. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Find out the highest/fastest growing areas in the US and target the areas your interested in.