Highest profit margin in this business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Aug 23, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Of all the types of landscaping work, which do you think has the highest profit margin and why? maintenance, pesticide, heavy equipment etc?

2. As far as I know spraying and granular apps are gonna hold the best profits.

3. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Thats exactly what I was thinking, guess I shall go for my applicators license soon.

4. Yes, it is probably the highest regulated part of this business, but it is also the most profitable.

5. Applications do have very high margins and you can crank out a lot of work in a short period of time, keeping your costs down.

The following are services my business provides to commercial and residentail clients. You will note that we do no mowing, edging, and only specialty pruning. All these services yield me better than a 65% to 120% gross margin and all time is 100% billable. Some of these services require a little hiigher experience level than a beginning business, but it is agood way to start heading.

Commercial and Residentail Fertilizer Service. Push and ATV spreaders.

Commercial and Residential Spray Service - backpack, ATV and towbehind sprayers.

Sprinkler System Repair and Maintenance. Startup, shutdown, backflow testing. We make good money on this.

Organic Fertilizer Service and SoilBuilding Programs.

Water Feature and Pond Maintenance. Another good money maker.

Pasture Management Servcie. Spray, aeration and fertilizer. Aerations done with tow behind aerator and ATV.

Sports Field Fertilizer, Spray and Aerations. I did the local high school for free 4 times this summer and it looks great. 3000 people will see it every week for 12 weeks and my free bannner on the grandstand for donating the services.

Future Plans: Aeravator AE 40 and some type of large area overseeder and a Ryan or Claussen walkbehind overseeder for ov erseeding and lawn renovations.

My son has a seperate mowing business that he provides mowing services with and we work on the same properties. He makes good money with just mowing and edging services. None of his equipment is owned by me, though, he has all that.

AL's likes this.
  6. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

turfman, do you mean blowing out the sprinkler systems when you say shut down? I wouldn't have guess the need in the Portland area. I would have to say granular app. and sprinkler system services for us.

7. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Lawn apps-no doubt! I can do 3 times the production dollars
    that maintenance brings.Just add it up for instance, let's say a solo guy can make 250.00 in 8 hrs of mowing. You can do $850.00
    doing apps. But the problem with that is that you need to be able to inspect the lawn-fertilize-treat weeds/insects-fill out paperwork
    required by law. A new guy to the business will take much longer than a guy that has made over 40,000 treatments, but even if he took twice as long to do that, $425.00 everyday is a nice prize!:blob1:

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I'm almost afraid to say this in fear that I am going to come across snotty, high-n-mighty, and stuck-up.

But $425.00 a day is not good money. I at one time in the beginning thought I would be thrilled to be making $425.00 a day. Now I don't blink an eye at that. That just won't get us by. We work 8 months out of the year, and if that is all we brought home we would be in the shelter come winter time.

$425.00, that does not cover your expenses. And I'm assuming all money is turned in, taxes paid, etc.

Do the math, multiply that by 5 days, then by the number of weeks in a month, then by the number of months you are able to work according to the weather. That is your GROSS income.
    Then what exactly is your NET?

I TOTALLY agree though. Fertilizing is where the money can be made. Now if you're talking about being in the ballpark of $850.00, as stated above, now that's better. At least for now for us it is.

Uh oh, I better re-clarify. $425.00 a day is not good money for us and for people that do this FULL TIME and have no other means of income and have a family to raise.

I guess it all depends upon your situation what is good and what isn't.

9. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

My feelings are hurt.:( :mad:

10. Allyn

Allyn LawnSite Member

Well I was in the spray business. Well work for a friend. There is a lot of liability to it. I personally was around the chemical crap for 9 years. We use to call Pre M agent orange.
    I make more money doing lawns cut, trim and edge than anything I have done. For the amount of hours it is hard to beat.

Plus some of those chemcial can stay in your system for awhile. If you need to put fert. use a pellet. But fert. is the least of the problem. It is the 2 4 D and insecticide.

What I was recommending to my customer in SL. Was have Chemlawn come and spray in the spring. That way you get all the product. Then cancel at the first of the summer. The summer mix is the big return for the money. Usually only Urea. But the spring mix has Urea, 2 4 D, pre m, iron, and other micor nutrents.

Allyn:blob2: :angel: