Highflow attachment advice?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by TonyG, May 28, 2007.

1. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a quality highflow snowblower, breaker and stumpgrinder attachment for a skid. I'd rather keep cost secondary and build quality as a primary thought here.

Thanks, Tony

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The best high flow blower on the market in my opinon is the Erskine 2410 or the Quick Attach 2400 (same blower). If your skid steer has enough hp it will fling snow to 40 plus feet. Used one on a CASE 440 (85 hp) this Winter it was unstoppable even in heavy snow. I owned a 2410 years ago, it was on a hf 1840 (50 hp) still impressive but with higher hp they are outstanding.

Breakers don't require hf most require only about 15 gpm. I have an Okada and have had a Stanley/Bobcat. I have been happy with both of them. Kent also makes a nice breaker.

I don't know about the grinder.

3. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

ksss, I'm looking at starting what you appear to have already started, a skid steer business. We have a small tree service now. and would like to expand into what I would call a niche service. From post hole digging, snow, stumpgrinding and heavy mowing, here in Schuylkill County Pa. I'm trying to see if this area will support this.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

What I have found helpful is to inventory what services and attachments are available in your area. If you can identify holes in your market you be the one to fill them. Be prepared, if your competetion thinks you making money they will be quick to follow. The breaker is a great attachment and a good money maker, post hole drilling is also a good money maker, actually for time spent verse return it is hard to beat the post hole auger, easy on the machine the only real upkeep is the teeth. I have had the same auger since I started (Lowe 1560E). Not often will you have a $1000 day drilling post holes but it easy to make 250-300 in an hour or so. I have researched stump grinding attachments. The problem I see is that in this market anyway there is not a lot of money in it.

The key with niche markets are you have to have several of them going because the niche can dry up from pressure from the competetion once they see your successful at it. You have to continually be looking for the next area that needs to be filled. It is also good to have something that you can hang your hat on, for me that is lawn installation. I have done it for so long that I am known for that. The calls come automatically. It provides "venture capital" for other things.

Good luck

5. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

By lawn installation, do you mean preparing subsurface for topsoil...install topsoil...spread seed and cover? This is done at a per square foot price? If so, would you share your per/ft price?
    ksss, I agree with your above post...I always plead poverty for just that reason.
    I'm still on the fence with regard to which skid to buy...turf friendly. The SR80 might fit the bill, although 30 gallon per minute isn't exactly highflow. The A300 might be the best overall unit out there right now. Both of these units cost plenty, however I've never let cost get in the way if there's work to off set it. One way or another, this skid area is where I think I'm going.

Tony

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I don't do a square foot price. Around here the ground varies so much as well as the rock present and distance to truck topsoil there is no way to do a square foot price. I wish I could it would save a lot of running around. I do use square foot price for concrete removal and prep. I usually price the 1 acre lots which is my prefered size at around 1000 to 1500 for a very fine grading job ready for sprinkler installation. The customer buys the topsoil. Last job I spread 640 yards. I took about 8.5 hours using the 465 with the 83" bucket and a Preparator. It was in a new subdivision and my phone has been ringing nonstop since I finished the job with additional people wanting lawns put in.

7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I tried ( unsuccessfully or not very hard ) to sell my FFC Preperator this last winter and I am so glad I did not. I used it on the front yard of an historical residence here to give them a grade for sod and sprinklers and the compliments I have been getting ( and additional work) are astounding. For yards this attachment is the cats meow. I used a skid w/preparator and also a 43 hp Kubota with gannon grading box with a roller behind it........the combo of the two left that place just awesome!

8. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

KSSS, you mentioned above that you price concrete removal by the square foot. I'm sure thickness, wire and re-bar are part of the equation. What is the going rate up there in Idaho?

9. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

One more thing, did you ever buy a stump grinder. I saw over on another thread you were considering this. I will as well and am trying to figure out a price for grinding, removal and topsoiling to keep the customer happy...most do not do it this way.