Highlift Blades- Drags 23hp Kaw. Down

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tommy, Sep 28, 2001.

1. tommy

tommy LawnSite Member

I tried Highlift Blades on my Skag 52 in. advantage deck 23 Hp Z
    Yesterday. The grass was anywhere from 4 to 6.5 inches. I was
    cutting at 2.5 inches. The grass was cutting very good, However
    the motor was really straining to keep up. Therefore, I had go at
    an extremely low speed. Can anyone help diagnose the problem or is this common.
    I have not been satisfied with the way this machine cuts. 100 hrs.
    I've been thinking I have bought a lemon:confused:

2. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

take it back to the dealer and have them to check rpm. it should be around 3600 (under load).

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Highlift blades will pull down an engine a bit more than regular lift blades. Do they put Kaw or Kohlers on those?

I have an old Kohler with over 37 times more hours than yours and it's just a 22 HP. It powers a 60" deck with double blades, a high lift and a regular lift blade and the 22 hp handles it just fine. What rpm's is it running at with the blades on and not mowing? As strickdad said, you might be low on rpm's. If you don't have a tach on it, I'd get one.

4. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

He says at the beginning of his post it is a Kaw - and I thought they had more torque for a stated HP than Kohler. Both engines are shown on the Scag website as options.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I guess I'm going blind, I missed that one completely. :cool:

6. tommy

tommy LawnSite Member

I took it to the dealer about a week ago. He checked RPM under
    load. 3550

7. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

tommy: no mulch kit, right? What kind of grass, and how heavy is it? How did it cut with the original blades? Have you ever cut this property with a different mower for comparison?

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

just so u can have reference . my 20 kohler w 52
    would be pulled ever so slightly w 5-6 inch grass cutting
    21/2.
    of course this is all reletive to how thick your grass is and what kind.mine is mostly fescue. later now
    ps thought i better add mine is a lazer w mule dr.

9. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually run double blades on my 23 Kaw, 52 Laser. Never struggles and sometimes I even have the ultra vac on it also. I'm not sure whats up with yours, but it shouldn't be struggling.

10. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

You said the grass was 4-6.5 inches and you were cutting at 2.5 inches. Thats tall grass (hopefully not a weekly cut). With grass that high depending on how thick it is I can imagine the engine stressing out to cut it. You cant go full speed and expect a nice cut. Just wondering if you checked the air filter and made sure its clean and with proper flow? If not that could well be your problem.