highway median mowing

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by laxative, May 14, 2008.

1. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

This week they started mowing ditches and highway medians here. Had ODOT crews trimming around guardrails and sign posts in the rain. What's the point? Seems like a waste of tax supported gas and labor. It looks nice but if there's no fire hazard or traffic visibility concerns it's stupid. Am I missing something? Is there another reason to mow all the ditches and medians once a month or so?

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

so they dont look like crap. you have to think about it from the states point of view... when people drive through your town/state they dont want them seeing overgrown grass and weeds everywhere. That might make that person think that they do not take care of the other roads/areas, which would turn into them not staying for a visit or not staying permanently. Just a thought...

- And if they dont mow it, there will be a line of people there to complain about it not being mowed and it looking like crap.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

A trashy looking median could promote littering for instance, not joking.
    Long highway grass, when a disabled vehicle must pull off-road, could catch on fire.
    It's work, thinking in terms of employment.

Can't think of any more right now.

4. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Might as well take care of it "before" it becomes a fire hazard rather then "after".

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Keep the ditches and median for litter control, mitigate fire hazard, prevent drifting of snow if in the snow belt.

6. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, ODOT does their own mowing, TxDot used to do it years ago, now its sent out to bid, one local, guy became a millionare because of this State, plus he uses all leased equipment and Mexicans, and does a crappy job, but still gets paid.

Its bid per acre......my tax dollars at work....

7. rachael24

rachael24 LawnSite Member

NY does their own mowing as well as PA.

8. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

in our area(arizona) its mostly for fire danger.

9. whitefrog1

whitefrog1 LawnSite Member

TN bids out the medians. I'm sure those guys are making some money. A friend of my fathers mows for a guy that does them. He has an 8 man crew. Gotta have alot of equipment though. I'd be interested to know how much they are actually making off them.

10. Dunlaps LawnCare

Dunlaps LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

pa does there own