1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hill from hell!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kellroy, Jul 30, 2005.

1. kellroy

kellroy LawnSite Member

I know there are a lot of folks out there that have a hill or bank that you only can cut with a weed eater? is there any tricks or special lawn mowers that can handle these hills/banks. I've seen one once on a golf course that looked like a hydro cuter no wheels ? don't know what brand or where to get one. 3 hours at one account just weed eating need help!

2. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Check out a hover mower. Eastman industries
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Husqvarn supposidly makes a nice hover mower. (from what i have heard) last years price was $599.95 from my usual dealer.
    4.5 hp
    21" cut
    slopes up to 60 degrees
    4 different height positions
    29 lbs.
  4. Mancinioldhorse

Mancinioldhorse LawnSite Member

Billy goat brand....Thats probably what you saw anyway...looks like a 36"walk behind but its longer and has two runnners on the front sides of the deck instead of front wheels. they are used for sloped fields...and steam banks etc.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'm curious. Does anyone know how a hover mower actually works? I've never seen one in use.
  6. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

Yes they have a fan above the mower blade that gives the lift of air . Some times i wonder how the thing's even cut with all the air blowing down at the grass . Only way to mow a bank with a hover/flymow is rope and up and down . dont try across it will fight ya every inch lol.
  7. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

We have two HM19S2 hovers mowers just for our estate model homes. There is a gate up front that runs along the total length of the 5 model homes and there is no way to use a 36 and when you use a 21 push it looks unprofessional because of the wheel marks it leaves behind. The hover cuts beautiful with no wheel marks and leaves the lawn at a great height.
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Last hover mower I used- 1970s- was like dragging a dam mower around with out wheels. They needed alot of improvement before I would ever consider one again
  9. weedwoop

weedwoop LawnSite Member

Sounds like it would be easier to use a weed wacker and a pair of golf shoes.
  10. kellroy

kellroy LawnSite Member

kellroy here can you give me some info on brand/ hp/ price :help: thanks for your help in advance