hill holding ability

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Feb 16, 2005.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

In the near future........some how some way.......I need to purchase another mower. I know these are questions that get asked all the time but this is a more specific one.

Between the Scag Turf Tiger and the Exmark........both having 60/61" decks.........which one will stay on a hill better? Not only sideways but climbing as well. I like my Choppers for various reasons but hill side mowing is not their specialty.

Reason for asking............bid on account with an extremely steep bank. It alone wouldn't be worth the trouble but there are 11 locations all together.........might be worth the investment cause there are more that may be added.

2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Homer

I doubt there will be a big difference between a Scag, and an Exmark for hill stability, but I found a noticable improvement going from an older Tiger to a Hustler Z. I doubt anything will be better then the hustler, although I remember some folks bragging on a Walker which is not likely something you want.

Good luck
    Jay

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Homer,

Have you given any consideration to the Wright Sentar? I have been running mine for two seasons now and the thing operates great on hills. Not to mention the comfort factor knowing you can bail easily if something were to happen.

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

No.............but a machine like that might fit this project well...........and they're cheaper too!

Might have to look into one, I know we have a dealer somewhere around here.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Homer...get all 3 out for a demo at the SAME time. Hustler, eXmark, and Scag. Same conditions is the only way to know for sure.

6. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

yes, I can put my Walker on a Hill that most would only put a WB, but that is because I have the 52 deck, any smaller and it sucks, that front stance really makes a BIG difference (notice I live in western NC). Even the Hustler I tried out, could not come NEAR what I do with the Walker on hillside (we just bought the 54 Huslter WB YEE HAA!!!). When you see me on a Hill on the Walker, I am sitting on the EDGE OF MY SEAT ..........LITERALLY!

7. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

For climbing, the Exmark weights would probably work well. We have gone as far as having an employee sit on top of the deck to keep the front end from popping up.

Todd

8. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that sounds safe....ever hear of OSHA or worse yet Worker's Comp.? :eek:

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Posted by terracare "For climbing, the Exmark weights would probably work well. We have gone as far as having an employee sit on top of the deck to keep the front end from popping up.

Todd"

Don't try this at home Sports Fans! :dizzy:

I am Scraper, it may work, but should never be done for a multitude of reasons.

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Homer, I have two of these. Go anywhere and do anything. I make a bunch of my own attachments. You will be able to do lots of other jobs with it too.
    http://www.steinerturf.com/