Hill worries

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bennett scape, May 4, 2008.

1. Bennett scape

Bennett scape LawnSite Member

Hi all I recently got an account on a five or six acre property in the woods next to a lake. Anyway there is a LARGE hill that gos from the bottom where the house is to the top of the damn for the lake. it is steep and do not think i can go up it in the tiger cub. However there is a way on the other-side of the house that can easily be reached up the hill. Anyway the problem is that should i mow down the hill or get the WB or strimmer on it? It is a large area to do any comments or suggestions welcome:usflag::):confused::dizzy:

2. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

If your going to use the mower, go Directly down the hill SLOWY with your front wheels pointing toward the bottom, if you go up the hill go directly up back wheels first (in reverse), with your mower in this position considering the torque of the back wheels it is difficult to turn over

3. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Good advice !!

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Thats bad advice. A Z should not be driven down hill. You will lose traction if the hill is too steep or if the grass is wet or if the grass has high water content in it. You will even lose traction on hard top that is steep. I have been for 3 wild rides on my Hustler S/Z in areas that I least expected it to happen.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Three things:

1. A Ztr will kill you, a Wb most likely won't...
    > The Wb can and will hurt you BAD, but it's never killed me :laugh:
    2. Take the Wb on there, if things go south you'll likely live to tell about it.
    > When in doubt as to what will kill you first and always you can disrespect a Wb, but never the Z.
    3. NEVER point a Ztr down a hill!
    > Forwards or backwards I don't care, always point a Z UP hill.

6. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

I agree with topsites, going straight down a steep hill is asking for disaster. I have been on that ride and it's not good. If you can go across the hill that is what I recommend, ZTR or walk behind. But on any hill that I would not go up with a ZTR, I would definately NOT go down with a ZTR. If you are forced to go down a steep incline I would definately use a walk behind. I have a lot of hilly properties and I use our walk behinds as much as I can but have to step of the sulky going down hill to keep my extra weight (240lbs.) from causing the walk behind to slide out of control.

7. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Better safe than sorry no matter what you do

8. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I would definately go with the walkbehind. I live in a VERY hilly area and i find that the walkbehinds actually are more affective and save me more time. Thats just me, i dont mind walking with the mower. I treat it as another workout :)

9. Bennett scape

Bennett scape LawnSite Member

so walk-behind then i was leaning that way do you think a snapper 21" hi vac commercial is a good mower for hills?

PS will post a picture tomorrow so stay here and check it out.:):rolleyes::usflag::walking::cool2:

10. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

How large of an area are you talking about? I thought you were talking about an area that warranted a larger mower since you were asking about a ztr. If it is that small of an area then it is a no brainer. Use the 21".

Snapper has a good rep around here.