Hillbilly Mowers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AB Lawn Care, Jun 23, 2000.

1. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I saw a few adds a couple of years back in pro mag.The mower was called a Hillbilly.They looked like nice mowers.Does anyone have any info on this machine????I liked it becouse most hill mowers would not have much use other than just hills.This machine looks like it could cut commercial jobs and you can also mount a snowblower on it in the winter!Hey turfequip.com you have in info on this mower?????<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

2. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

That name rings a bell as one of those obscure brands that never gained any market share to speak of. <p>Your safest bet on hillsides (IMHO) is a walk behind you feel comfortable with and have mastered it's operation. I almost hesitate to say that due to the obvious number of newbie types that use this forum ie. &quot;mower goes left when I ask it to go right&quot;<p><br>If it's too steep for a walk behind use a weed eater. If the job's too big for that consider squirting the hill with a PGR or a non-systemic burn down agent (if you have your lisence) or not taking the job at all.<p>On a side note...just thinking about spraying stuff. I was looking at this demo 65 gallon hydroseeder sitting in my barn yesterday. THIS IS NOT A SALES PITCH Anyway you may know this thing doubles as a water cannon. Seriously! It will shoot like a 1/2&quot; pinstream nearly 70 feet before the stream starts breaking up. What about mixing up a tankful of roundup with the thing.<p>Wouldn't that be an AWESOME weapon? <p><br><p><font size="1">Edited by: turfquip dot com

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Hillbilly Mowers, out of Kentucky right? Never heard of them. I have used 2 great mowers for hillsides and maybe some others will agree.. One was Steiner and the other was Hustler. Coincidence or not hustler has a banner ad on this page now. Sign from above? LOL<p>Hope that helps!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

best unit on a hillside hands down is a hustler hillsider 6400.<br>designed for military use, mowing ammo bunkers. now used by almost all highway maintenance operations.<br>units are self leveling (cab and engine), safest unit to use, it has 6 wheel drive, and you can use it for flat land cutting also, it is zero turn !!!<br>enclose the cab with the enclosure kit, mount a snow blower to it in winter and you have a year round unit.

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Hey mowerconsultant, check out my profile and You'll see how I know about those hustlers on the hills!! Your absolutely 100% dead on with you post!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

6. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

<p>That machine sounds awesome, and I'm betting that it is indeed, the best machine for the job.<p>Just wondering what the cost is on one of these...fully equipped of course. <p>Twenty, thirty thousand dollars or more seems out of context for the guys that frequent LS.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I just checked out the Hillsider on the Hustler site. That looks impressive. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>The Grass is always Greener on the other side of my competitors fence

8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

guido, have you used them in the air force ??<br>that is what they were made for at first.<br>they have come a long way since then, but still the best unit !<br>cost.....they are not cheap, msrp- $37,390.00<br>but dont let that scare you, they more than pay for themselves in contract mowing of highways and brige work.<br>chances are you can find a factory demo at a little better price. <br>you never know till you ask.....

9. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hey David,Easy on the blue grass state O.K...I never heard of them either!!Maybe Tenn.

10. TurfMan

TurfMan LawnSite Member

Ever heard of a Power-trac. I have seen one of these and they are built like a tank. The 1800 series are made to mow a 45 degree slope and are no where near as expensive as the Excel. Somewhere in the 25K range. Look at this website: <p>http://www.power-trac.com<p><br><p>----------<br>thats my 2 cents, <br>mike