hills and degree u do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, Jul 7, 2008.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

when people ask how good mowers hold hills do they mean up and down or side to side cutting??? i think side to side.. i run one hill thats like 45*

2. Backhoe Man

Backhoe Man LawnSite Member

Are you sure about 45 degree ? I would like to see a vid of that. Brian//////

3. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Thats pretty steep, I agree with Backhoe. The worse one I do is with an Exmark 52" and its only about 25 degrees.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The steepest I've done with a Z is about 18/19 degrees. I can't imagine cutting 45 degrees with any mower except one of those hillside mowers.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah...

[​IMG]

6. milo

i will take pics next week. i did it today. it might not be 45* but perty close.. thats the hill i test mowers on to, to see which ones really hold hills. so far hustler super z A+++, scag cub 48 inch and 61 A+ exmark lazer z 60 A.. and worst that could not at all exmark lazer zhp.

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I have one place I cut that has a steep hill. I'm going to look for a degree finder and see how steep it is. I know from experience I can't go down the left side with any control. It will go up with no problems. The right side isn't quite as steep so I go down on the right and up on the left. It's basically a 1+ acre lot all on a hill. It will cut side to side without any problems. I'll get pics this Friday of the mower sitting on the hill.

8. ALC-GregH

from PA

forgot to mention, it's all open with no trimming needed. Basically a open field on a hill that the customer wants to keep cut.

9. ALC-GregH

from PA

Here's a pic of the hill. I mowed it with the Cub Cadet Enforcer I originally bought back in late April and it would not hold the hill at all. Every pass coming down, it would vier to my left coming down and would not stay straight as seen by the terrible stripes near the top.
    [​IMG]

10. milo

im not calling it a hill its a slope. its about 7 feet high and you cannot drive up it bacausethe rear of any mower would slam into the ground. nor would i even try to cut it up and down. i go side to side and i have slid down it alot but put it this way, you got to get a good running start to get up it. i will take pics next cut.