Hills and Slopes

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by ThunderChicken07, Oct 3, 2010.

1. ThunderChicken07

ThunderChicken07 LawnSite Member

I would like see what ztr mower you guys think will hold a hill or slope the best. If you have experience only on one type/brand/etc. i would like information on it as well. I'm currently in school but already have a few customers lined up for next summer and i'll need a mower that can handle some hills. Thanks in advance for your comments!

2. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

How steep?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ThunderChicken07

40-45 degree

4. bheath

bheath LawnSite Member

Ferris 3100IS is awesome holding hill because of it four wheel independant suspension.

5. ThunderChicken07

would having a stander, front mount, or mid mount make any kind of difference?

6. banksl&s

banksl&s LawnSite Member

subscribed, I would like to hear opinions on this also.

7. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I use my Toro Z450 on slopes but only because its two or three passes up/down the hill. They're not designed to be used on slopes. All the weights on the back wheels of my mower and I can make it do wheelies if I gun it. Make a down hill turn too tight and fast and you'll find out fast that it can be done but done with care.

A walkbehind is you're best bet. Stander would be next best. How big of properties you working with?

8. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer my Gravely Pro Stance on slopes. The Hustler is too hard to control it seems like.

9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

10. Dan85

Dan85 LawnSite Member

I second the vote for Ferris; I'm not sure if ours stick to slopes so well because of the suspension or the turf tires, but it definitely out performs our Hustler super-z.

Walk behinds are almost limitless; I used to mow fairly steep bridge abutments with a walk behind Ferris 48" without any issues.