1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hills and Slopes

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by ThunderChicken07, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

In what way does it out perform the SZ? Pumps, grip......?
  2. rwaters

rwaters LawnSite Senior Member
    from Online

the super Z was not built for hills till next year, I can see that but the ATZ on the other hand will do much better then the ferris as it was built for hills. And come on suspension will not help you hold a hill.
  3. FrogLick

FrogLick LawnSite Member

I've used a Grasshopper 618 (no longer avail) w/wide stance tandem rear wheels on some very rough grass/weeds on steep slopes that aren't smooth at all. The front mount deck gives it a longer overall wheelbase. I only mow up & down on steep slopes, frequently backing up on the steepest. Slopes can always be dangerous so be very careful.
  4. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

my .02 your only choice is a steiner or ventrac. 40 to 50% is frickin steep beau
  5. shiveslandcsaping

shiveslandcsaping LawnSite Member

I think there is only 1 brand rated up to 40 degrees and that is Kut Kwick.
  6. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

I am calling it. No way it is 40 or 50 deg....find the real slope, that will be a huge factor. Anything over 25 is way too unsafe for a ztr, not at all worth it.
  7. The LawnRanger

The LawnRanger LawnSite Member

I would say a walk behind be your best bet and for those who say the super Z doesnt handle hills very well must be operator error I demoed one that had 31 hp Kawi HT and I took it on hills and slopes most would be affraid to take a walk behind and it performed flawless I couldnt' get it to slide
  8. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Ventrac with duals on it might handle the slope depending on what type of ground you are running on. That's a steep slope. Where are you finding that kind of slope? Retention ponds, highway off ramps, where. With more details folks here can give you more feedback. Pictures would also be helpful.

Whatever you are running your biggest issue will be keeping the engine oil running right with that much slope. Doesn't matter if it is a walk behind or a rider. Heck, we even toyed with the idea of putting a Rotex 2-cycle in a worn out Bobcat MT-52 just so we could go up and down the slopes.

Bottom line is that you need to give us more information.
  9. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

I quit using my 48wb on slopes because I could hold more of a hill with my 700 series grasshopper. That youtube link of the hustler on the slope was nothing. But as everyone else was saying a ztr is not going to be a good as some specialized hillside mowers.
  10. nolanjim

nolanjim LawnSite Member

Walk behinds for steep slopes. I have tried all ztrs and none handle 45 degree slopes well.
    Posted via Mobile Device