1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hills with a wright stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncuttinfoo, Sep 19, 2005.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just wondering if the wright stander is a good mower to use if you have a lot of hills. Is it still easy to control if you step off it and walk behind?

I Currently own a belt WB and I was planning on purchasing a ztr this off season and keep the belt WB for my steep hills but my engine just broke down and I need to buy a mower now that can do it all. I was kind of set on a rider so I would rather not get another WB if I don't have to (but will if I must)

I would say that 20% of my mowing is done on hills about 25 degrees or greater.
  2. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Send itsgottobegreen a pm. He's the man to talk to about standers.

-Mark Wood
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you need a stander. They are one Bad Mother in hills. I have several hilly properties because I was the only guy that had a machine that could cut. A stander with 8psi in the rear tires is a freaking tank with claws on hills.

They are faster than a walkbehind and can almost keep up with a ZTR.
  4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

What he said...we mow some really varying terrain here in WV, and the Standers were a perfect fit for us. Call and set up a demo with your local dealer...then let us know.
  5. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

hi i just got a stander 3 day ago and used it 2 days. hills they do ok. they hold a hill perty good but you are never relaxed on the stander. i would just buy a ztr. look at scag tiger cub if you dont want to spent much the lazer zhp's dont do well on hills.. i must say, the wright stander is built tuff but when you are cutting it is more like hard work to do it compaired to a ztr.
    go to the dealer and ask for a demo of one before you buy it, then try a ztr. if you do this job a few days a week go with a ztr. you will say thanks to me later for that.
    i bought mine used for very cheap and around me i am the only guy i have ever seen have one so far. they are different..
  6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

my 52 would roll the downhill tire off routinely. sure it would do the hills, until it lost the tire.
  7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

i've used a 52 stander on some pretty steep hills and they hold to them like glue.
  8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

my 52" does great on hills
  9. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

hi how do you guys like using there machines everyday? i have used the one i got 3 days now and every time i am on it i am mad. you cannot go under trees and your package, knees and shins get a beaten on these stander's.. not only that but curb climbing is not possible on them. today going up on a porch to get out of a yard i ripped off the fake grass on the porch cause the deck grinded all over it.. at least with a walk behind you can pop the front wheels up to get up things. i do think they are built good but even when im on it, my dogs look at me funny. ;) ;)
  10. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I love mine it is a very versatile machine. I have no problem crouching down to go under things, and yes my shins get bumped once in a while but no big deal. Curb climbing, by backing over them one large wheel at a time is fairly easy for me. And I would never take any mower, especially one this large on to a customer's porch.

I'm not sure 3 days of use is enough to really appreciate a Stander. You seem to have had a negative view of Standers to begins with??? I am wondering why you bought it.