Hillside ground cover

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by J & B Lawncare, Dec 7, 2006.

1. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare LawnSite Member

I have a client that has approx an embankment along a major two lane road. It is two steep to place any typical lawn tractor on. Most of the time I have maintained it with a weed eater. The frontage on the roadway is about 35 feet, with the the highth being about 8 foot. I am looking into some type of gorund cover to replace the grass with. It would have to be a low growing type as a driveway exits here and we must maintain "line of sight". The only run off is what falls on the embankment, at the top it grades off in another direction. We also have to keep this a low budget as possible. I have never worked on a project like this and would like to hear about any solutions to this request. We are in south central PA. I have and will countinue to search this and other sites for info.

Thanks

J & B

2. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Whatever the town is using for ice control will be a consideration. In my area we get alot of salt burn along the roads. Also how many deer are running around. Those bastards will eat anything. If cost is such a concern, I'd say keep hitting it with the weedwacker.

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Crownvetch. It's used along many of the highways in PA. It's a legume so it doesn't need nitrogen fertilizer. Once established it does a pretty good job of shading out weeds. It's about 18 inches tall.

4. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare LawnSite Member

I concider this, however it would be too high at 6". The client needs it to look short and tidy.

Thanks

5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Day-um, short and tidy and 6" is too tall??? You're SOL. The shorter the cover, the more weeds will grow through and you'll STILL be weed whacking.

There's always creeping thymes (thymus varieties) at 2" or pachysandra at 4"-6", or vinca at 2"-4".

6. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

rug juniper it is a cure-all here for steep cuts like that

7. Gardenworker

Gardenworker LawnSite Member

Problem is the customer is Cheap but they want something low, nice, tidy and maintenance free. That pretty much rules all Junipers except the rug type and they tend to cost more--remember the customer is Cheap. Besides, junipers would require a mulch and/or weeding until they completely fill in and that could take a few years. I'd go with Periwinkle (vinca) or English Ivy (Hedera). Good Luck!

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Out here we have lots of Kinnikinnick (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi).

Its a a creeping flowering ground cover that only goes about 6" in height, yet grows in very thick and keeps the weeds down.

[​IMG]

9. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

No taller than 6 inches ? Whew. How about Ajuga or Dwarf Mondo ?

10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

What about good old English Ivy? It doesn't grow very tall and will never die even if you spray it with Roundup. It is very aggressive growing so make sure its what you want before you plant it.