Hillsides

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pennypincher, Mar 27, 2006.

1. pennypincher

pennypincher LawnSite Member

Does anyone have a mower that does exceptionally well on hillsides without having to go up and down?

2. webami

webami LawnSite Member

Need more info.! What's the slope? Do you have any pics? Many walkbehinds do well on hills going horizontally if they aren't too heavy.:)

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

how steep?

I use a 48 in walk behind and I always cut side to side if it is steep.

GEO :confused:

4. Jacob's Yardworks LLC

Jacob's Yardworks LLC LawnSite Member

I have a 61" Great Dane and it does great on hills.

5. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I have used gread Dane super surfers and they work great. also, the great dane chariot jr is awesome on hills. I use mine all the time for that. one thing you want, is the weight near the tires, and a low center of gravity.

6. pennypincher

pennypincher LawnSite Member

I cant tell you much about the slope. Part of it you have to go up and down but some of it the biggest problem I have is the wheel on the upside slipping. I have a 48in Scag belt drive. I have heard nothing but good about the hydro drives but I cant justify the cost for myself. I tried a Great Dane stand on but with my height about 6ft 8in and weight about 300, me or the mower were very happy. What makes the hydros so much better.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Ferris dual hydros hold a hill well

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

walker 13 hp

9. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

Hydros are better than belt drive because there is less wear an tear on the operator at the end of the day. Try each for a day and you will understand

10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Ventrac 4200VXD or a Steiner for pure production on hillsides. If it's a residential account, go with a WB or a Stander.