hillsides

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cigar6, May 17, 2002.

1. cigar6

cigar6 LawnSite Member

Hey guys: fairly new to the board. I have enjoyed the "spirited " exchange of ideas found here.

Question: has anyone tried one of the hovering trimmers offered by husqvarna for hill sides??

I am cutting several apartment complexes with hillsides, too step for a walk behind, and have been walking the hill with a weedeater.

The hovering trimmer looks appealing...

thanks for any input from the pro's on the board.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Try one out before you purchase one, as you may change your mind after doing so.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Hey, I just thought of something:
    You can dangle it down a rope and have the rope tied to a rider mower at the top of the hill, then just move in the rope accordingly to make the next pass. This way, you won't fall and you can sit down! Dunno if it'll work, but it should. I have never seen or used one of these hover mowers but they sound pretty cool.
    Eric

4. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

i have tried one on 2 occasions,like bladerunner said better try one first,i seen it wasnt for me...weedeater, faster

5. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you can tie a rope on one,take the handle off,and walk it back and forwards along the slope.You can also do the same with a 2 cycle pushmower,take off the handle,tie a rope around the front and back and walk along the slope letting it down each pass.If you can walk along the slope with a trimmer stick with that, its faster.If you are thinking of pushing a hovermower along the slope forget it,gravity rules they only want to head one way,downhill.

6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Good idea, but I tried doing this when I was like 10 years old and I realized it won't work (in most situations). When you pull the tractor forward, the rope will tear up the grass at the top of the hill where the slope ends.

7. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

A recent trade landed me a hover mower. I will say it is a life saver for me. It really works great and is far more efficiant than trimming. It will not work on rocky or rough ground. I like mine but like others said try one before you buy one. They don't work in all situations.

8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

get a lawnboy self propelled 6.5hp 2cyl. mower. It will climb a mountain. I have several steep hills and someone here told me how to up the rpms by turning a white wheel on top of the carb clockwise to up the rpms. now the thing will almost pull a velke. the mower only weighs about 70 lbs and once you up the revs it is a great tool. I look at the husq. hover mower at a show and it seemed like a good idea but its uses were limited so I opted for the lawnboy on advice from this forum and am very happy with my choice.

9. wesLESCO48

wesLESCO48 LawnSite Member

I agree with jeffex, the 2 cycle 6.5 hp lawnboy is an awesome
    mower once a few adjustments are made. I use one to cut
    a small business complex that is comprised entirely of slopes
    ranging from 30-45 or 50 degrees and the lawnboy has
    no problem cutting across most of the slopes. It's much more
    efficient than using a trimmer. The 2 cycle lawnboy is a fairly
    inexpensive option you may want to consider, i just wish
    their drive tires were wider for better traction, then they
    could climb almost anything.