hilly properties?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by buttaluv, Mar 21, 2008.

1. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

what do you guys do an hilly properties, I mean hill's that are hard to walk on let alone push a spreader on? I did 3 last night, one of them hit a hole dumped almost a full spreader over..picked it up best I could but I'm gonna have to reseed that spot for sure!!

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I won't do them , pass them on to the next guy

3. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

that explains why all the neighbors are calling me then...I'm such a sucker!

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Backpack blower helps, after you pick up what you can, to spread out what's left.
    Oh yes I've dumped a spreader load before :laugh:

Which, how about turning the chute wide open along the top of the hill, then use the backpack blower?
    Unless it's way long, might have to charge a little extra but from the sound of things if YOU can spread fert on stupid hills you got yourself a corner in the market.

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

If I refused work because the lawn, etc was not flat, accessable via a gate and able to be driven onto from the street, I'd have no work. I do not push or drive spreaders on hills. I use all liquids or if it must be granules, there are backpack spreaders that will propel granules 50 feet. When working for someone else, one of the accounts was an HOA on the side of the mountain, with groundcover going up the slopes. I ordered a backpack machine to do the fertilizer and preemergent herbicides, never did I have to walk across that slope. I could stand at the base and spread, then get to the terrace on top and get what could not be done from the bottom. This machine blew a 50 lb bag in under 5 minutes at wide open setting. Another option is the Vortex spreaders nomally used to apply into beds. Those work exactly like the backpack units. Because nothing I work on can be done with a Permagreen, I ask for and get up to $800 per acre to apply, per M if it is less than 10M I get $55 per M. In my market, it is not how fast or cheap you can do it, it is how accurate and effective your application is. Clients want to see grass green in one week and weeds dead in the same time, without the granule burn or spot spray marks the "landscapers" leave behind.