1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice
  1. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Alot of us have written, on other threads, about the front pivot hinge on the Boss Vee plows ripping at the bottom - thus necessitating grinding out the tear and rewelding the steel to the hinge pin area.....

I'm curious if anyone has had that problem yet with their Fisher or Western Vee plows.

Feedback please....
  2. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Actually ripped the top,center,and bottom was hanging on by a thread.Both Boss's were broken identical.When I called Boss and asked if they had any problems with 10' V's like that. Of course,no never heard of such a thing.
    Didn't think they would have. We still like them though.
  3. Alan

Alan Member

Darn, I guess Sno-Way isn't the only company that (abuses that line.
  4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

LOL, true, true.

I learned long ago that my company was "the ONLY one to have that problem." Thank goodness for networking and associations so I know that most equipment guys are less than honest and many are just plain liars.
  5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I heard that same line from SnoWay when I called about the solenoid. But... they were really nice and helped me out, so I can't pick on them.

6. cut-rite

cut-rite LawnSite Member

John, haven't had any trouble with the hinge area on my EZV . Doubt that I will because the trip edge absorbs most of the abuse. I have however, trashed the A frame 1997 models were 3" channel iron now they are 4".
  7. lawnboy53

lawnboy53 LawnSite Member
    from Neb

You have to watch the edge wear on the Boss vee's, when they get down they run on center section bottom plate. I had one that ran so low a guy hit a curb and peeled back the hole on the bottom. That let the hinge pin walk around and made for a trip tp my buddies Fabrication shop to revamp it. Boss says to run shoes to save the center section.... yea right.
    Keep an eye on the edges the wear fast.
    Dino, I'm thinking urethane?
  8. wyldman

wyldman LawnSite Member

Was visiting another local landscaping company,which has 41 Boss "v" plows,and close to 20 of them were in pieces.Most were torn at the center hinge,and some were even buckled in half.The Boss rep was on site saying "Hmm,never seen that before".He chalked it up to abuse,and overloading of the trucks while plowing.Most of these trucks are all F450 with 10' slide in salters and 12" extensions,fully loaded with salt.A little heavy for plowing.There was also a descrepancy in the Boss catalog,as when the plows were purchased,that catalog listed the plows as OK on an F450.Seems a later catalog revision now excludes the F450,so the Boss rep is insisting there is no warranty coverage.I was considering a couple of new V-blades on new F450's next year.Hmmm....maybe not
  9. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

They require a higher caliber driver. Our new guys and guys "rough" on plows get straight plows. (If they're too rough, they get shovels.)

A lot of it has to do with training, etc. Anybody can beat up and make of plow. I've seen them all.

Still, if you're going to buy a $40,000 truck, have a $25.00/hour driver in it, don't use a straight blade and loose $10,000/winter in productivity just because you might have to do repairs on it.

We have well over 5000 plow trips on Boss plows and not 1 time have we missed a snow event because of the plow. (Not Boss hydraulics) Doing repairs in the gaps of snowfalls and the offseason is built into our budget. Repairs we don't mind: downtime is unacceptable.
  10. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I agree w/ Mr. Lawns. I think a v plow requires a higher skilled plower, along with more a highter proactive maintenance program on the plow itself. Although we have had no problems with our Boss V's (other than the center shoe), I know we are getting close to replacing the cutting edges. If a guy doesn't take care of his equipment, it'll cost him over time. Just my 2 cents.