1. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Any body have ideas or pics to fab some heavy duty hinges. I would like to make the gate on my 5 ton dump swing out to the side and top or bottom.

2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmmmm............ I'm trying to visualize the application. I'm guessing that right now, your truck's gate is top hinged with pins on the gate going into plates with holes on the box sides? And a latch mechanism at the bottom of the box, clamping onto pins at the bottom of the gate?

I think the idea of making a 3-way gate may get pretty complicated, especially swinging out to the side. Just as important as hinging the gate is a means of keeping it secured shut when travelling.

Although I don't have any specific ideas for doing what you have in mind (sorry! :( ) I do think that it would be simpler to fabricate a new gate from scratch rather than try to modify your existing one. A similar design to what's currently on the box for hinges now will probably work OK, one question I have is how frequently do you plan on switching from top to bottom or side hinged mode?

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Henry, try looking for websites on horse trailers or cattle trailers they sometimes use that type of hinge.

4. Alan

Alan Member

If you've got a place that sells large dump bodies near you,, go looking. Some 10 wheeler dumps use exactly the setup you are looking for. I'll bet it gets complicated making all the pivot and latch points work right. A guy here has one like that, I've looked at it but never paid much attention to how it was made. If I can connect with him when I have the camera with me I'll take pictures, but no idea when that might be.

5. syd

syd LawnSite Member
    from mn

I would suggest building a frame around your door hinging which ever way you want then build a frame around that frame hinging which ever way you want then attach it to your box hinging it which ever way you want I hope this helps