1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hiniker c plow

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by BCLawncare, Dec 19, 2000.

1. BCLawncare

BCLawncare LawnSite Member

Hi guy`s i would like some info on the Hiniker c plow . Anybody using this plow? what are the pros and cons of this plow, are there better choices? Because of the lack of snowfall in my area over the last few years alot of guys have quit plowing, so when we get the snow theres lots of work to be done. i have never plowed before so any info would be of great help. thanks !
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldnt buy anything Hiniker makes,just my opinion,they have to many quality and weld problems,and poor customer service,to many other good choices out there.One other thing that no one has brought up,is most automatic transomissions have ony 2or 3 clutch discs for reverse and aernt meant to be put under a lot of stress,like backblading in a good size storm,I f i had one,i d use low range on an auto tranny to keep the stress down on the reverse clutch packs.
  3. n y snow pros

n y snow pros LawnSite Senior Member

We have had nothing but trouble with the 5 heniker plows we own and they will not support there warranty or product.Stay away from Heniker and go buy a real plow like Boss,Fisher,Western,Diamond or any other hunk of steel you can hang off your truck it will work better than a Heniker
  4. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Hiniker = junk.
    Meyers = Hiniker.
  5. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

I meyers and hiniker saw this site maybe they would stop making more new junk and fix the old stuff after all rellability is the name of the game.
  6. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

John, I like that.
  7. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not being sarcastic,but what's wrong with Meyer?

I'm new this year to plowing and the new atruck I bought had a Meyer 7.5 on it. Where I live 8 out of 10 trucks have a Meyer the other one has a Western and the other one has a Fisher.

Maybe it won't mean too much because we don't get much snow, but I'd really like to know some cons of the Meyer.

8. jimsmowin

jimsmowin LawnSite Member

i don't know whats wrong with myer. i've been using myer for about 18 years. very few promblems with mine.
  9. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

1) Hydralic lines blow regularly because they are undersized.
    2) Quick disconnects fail regularly because they are undersized for the pressure they run.
    3) The pivot pin area in the A frame is poorly designed, for if you backdrag X amount of times the tongue fails and the moldboard falls off the front, and this tongue area has to be beefed up and/or rebuilt.
    4) The lynch pins come apart after 100 hours of plowing and it's usually during a blowing storm at 0 degrees and you have to try to put a new pin in under the truck while its blowing and drifting.
    5) On the old ones the pump hangs out front, and it don't matter what type fluid you use the danged thing gets sluggish at minus 10 degrees outside.
    6) I had a Meyers eastern seaboard sales rep tell me (to my face) that Meyers is in the parts business, not the plow business.
    7) The springs are garbage and designed to fail at around 100 hours (so you can buy more of them)
    8) After 5 years use (in a market like mine) the large trip pin area fails (not the pin, but the bracket holding them on) creating one massive repair job.

I got more if you want them.... I just have to get my mechanic in here to dictate them to me.....

They are probably great when you don't have alot to invest in a plow, don't plow more than 5 or 6 times a season, and don't mind doing repairs yourself.... However, in our type of plowing in our market - they are not the plow of choice.
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

John Allin decribed everything that happened to my 3 diffeent meyers plows over the course of the 5 yrs i ran them-Junk.I went to Fisher,the plow is so much stronger its like comparing a tonka toy to the real thing.I havent done a thing to my Fishers,the oldest one is 8 yrs old and survived the blizzard of 93,94,and 95 we had.We got over 100" in 94,we got more than upstate NY by a long shot.The only thing i have done is change fluid every yr and went thru a 3 doolar tube of dielectric compound in the minute mount connectors.Meyer plows are a good homeowner plow,thats what they are good for.