hip mount or tube mount

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brian B, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

what's the difference between the hip mount and the tube mount on a backpack blower? what do you like better?

2. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

i like the feel of the hip mounted version. if you get tube mounted what are you going to be doing with your free hand? picking your nose? to me its just a waist of a hand. all it comes down to is preference

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I like the tube mount better because it frees one hand up for moving branches etc.

4. zeroturner

zeroturner LawnSite Member

I prefer the tube mounted throttle, but it simply comes down to a matter of preference. I do not think one is any better than the other.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I like the tube mounted throttle on the echo blowers. I like the hip throttle on the redmax blowers. JMO

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I agree also, plus sometimes I need to hang on to a bush or something to steady myself on a hillside

wayne

7. dozerdogue

dozerdogue LawnSite Member
    from CT

Definitely the tube mount like everyone said you sometimes need to move a bush.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Tube mount..hands down (no pun intended). I don't even understand the first reply by Matt, because it just doesn't add up. You still have to have a hand on the tube to operate, ANYway. The only difference is, with the hip mount you also have to use your other hand to change the throttle setting. The tube mounts have a cruise control if you want to use it, anyways.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I like the hip mount...you're mostly in full throttle anyway, so, i find it more comfortable to have it on the hip, and that gives me something to do with the other hand, if i need to move something, then i just throttle down if needed and move it, it's not like i have to hold the throttle in that position.

10. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely tube mount. The main reason landscapers wanted the hip mount is because some times the little cable running to the tube would get damaged and they thought hip mounted would be much better. My dealer says 90% of the blowers he sells are tube mounted and I see why. Much better IMO.

Cheers
    Jeff