hire the scrub, or pay the pro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 16, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you need minor interior work done on your house. the bigger, better, well known companies don't take on small "odd job" type projects, the few that do, want top dollar for it. now, you have a reputable "handy man". he is much much cheaper, and his work quality is up to par, and he will do any small or odd job you want. he doesn't carry insurence, and he only accepts cash. he is about 50% cheaper than the other companies. who do you hire?

2. Love2Mow

Love2Mow Banned

"reputable" companies ALWAYS carry insurance and take other forms of payment then cash. They also dont slash their prices.

3. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

By "reputable" I think he means someone who is known by others to do good work. Hence having a good reputation. Personally, If it was minor work, I would grab a Time Life book or hit the internet and figure it out myself. The way I figure it is either I get it done, or I screw it up so bad it becomes a big job.

4. Love2Mow

Love2Mow Banned

I know what reputable means. Companies that have good reputations do good work and follow the basic rules and laws of being in business. Like me. :)

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

that's just it dude, everytime i try to do things like that, i screw up, make a mess, get electrocuted, it is always worse than if i paid somebody. don't get me wrong, i have many talents...they just havn't surfaced yet

6. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

I have the same problem. Things look so easy when you see them done on the DIY network, but i always seem to screw simple things up.

But hey, half the fun is trying.

7. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

no insurance, no job. What are you going to do when he falls off a ladder and hurts his back. He is on your property and you and or your insurance company is going to pay his medical bills, loss wages, pain and suffuring and any other expenses his lawyer can come up with. I would never hire anyone to do anything that did not have insurance. It could cost you everything you own.

8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

"minor" interior work? i can do anything, but if its minor, and i don't want to do it, i'd hire him... the handyman.
    but not electric or gas lines. i hate sheetrock, and spackle. i don't mind the taping, but the sanding, anyone one but me, i don't care.
    half price you say, even better. no brainer.

if it was a repeatative service, then no. but a one time run, no doubt.

i'm free this weekend... but my rates aren't exactly half-price. i can do electric, gas, paint, plumbing,...once in a while i can even cut grass. i'll send you an estimate.

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

would definately do it myself. I like that kinda work.

Given the parameters I would find an insured handyman if the Real companies wouldn't do it.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Everybody here who can see where Bobby is going with this raise your hand. :waving: Most of you people are just suckers for punishment.