1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hired Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chuck Sinclair, May 25, 2002.

1. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

I got back from the store today and had a message on my machine, seems my helper of 3 weeks is back in jail and he wants me to bail him out. I don't think so!!!!! now i need to find better help. What would you do?

BTW: He has spent 18 of the last 40 in prison.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Around here, the only way to get good help is to headhunt and offer abetter salary than they now have. If you want $8/hr help here is what you get: A customer of mine was at a LCO/landscape supply place. He asked the guy working there about mulching. The guy said "Don't talk to the boss-he'll charge you a fortune" So this kid takes the company truck, company time, the companies mulch and installs it in between other jobs. 2 yard job and only charged the guy $60.00. I also know for a fact that a lot of guys around here who work for a mowing or spraying outfit have cash customers on the side. I will stay solo, thank you.
  3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

LEAVE the loser in jail, and find another guy.
    GOOD LUCK, I have had nothing but bad luck with help. So this year I am working solo.
    I was talking to a guy today that works for another LCO. He is retired Army, seemed like a steady worker but not fast. I told him that if he knew of any body reliable to have them give me a call. He told me that every body he knows of (and in the whole town for that matter) that is worth a **** is already gainfully employed. WY hasn't been hit with as much of a down turn as some other parts of the country, so bodies are hard to find.
  4. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Oh man...

I haven't started employing yet (though I did get my EIN yesterday!) but these are the horror stories I don't wish to hear.

So much for giving a guy a second (or third or fourth) chance, eh? You'll find someone worthwhile, Chuck, just hang in there...
  5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I discuss employee problems w/ other LCO's and a friend of mine who owns a grocery store. My buddy hit the nail on the head when he said we don't get the "bottom of the barrel", but what crwls out from underneath. Its a sad fact, but we always seem to attract drunks, addicts and transients. Personally, I try to weed them out and attract more reputable employees by ofering health care, vacation, holidays, etc... but it doesn't always work---- some guys just don't get it. BTW, I have 7 F/T and 1 P/T employee. I have to think for myself and at least 5 others! No brains and less common sense. Average pay is approx $10.00/hour (plus benefits). Sad to say - its tough to find true quality employees who realize clients are paying for a service and that it should be done professionally to high standards.

6. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

It is hard to get good help.......I mean, it's not like were exactly getting the people that graduated at the top of their class now is it.

I have way too much grass to be solo. Wed and Thur I work with a 5 man crew.....and I can tell you it is hard to find RELIABLE help. I will give almost anybody a chance but very few will get a second one. In 4 years I have had rougly 15 different guys come and go