Hiring 1st employee on payroll

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greeneyes, Jun 14, 2006.

1. greeneyes

greeneyes LawnSite Member

This is our 3rd season in business together. Me & my partner do mowing & landscaping. My partner was mowing & I was landscaping 2-3 yrs before (self-employeed). Decided to combine, & so far, really good. We're swamped with work. Customers all wanted both services so made sense. Now were so backlogged need to hire help. I've got a kid (17 yrs old) son of a friend who has used all of the equipment that we use. (Parent's actually sold us their 48" walk behind, because they bought a new z-turn rider.) He is unusually responsible for that age and has knowledge of all of the equipment. I called our insurer today about workman's comp and thought I'd had it covered. But now I'm wondering, he's under 18??? Maybe, I should just have him landscape and not mow. What to do?? Help!

2. ShieldsLandscaping

ShieldsLandscaping LawnSite Member

Well why dont u pay him under the table? Everyone arround where I live hires like 17 and 18 and 16 yr olds all under the table.

PS I am 17 (18 at the end of the summer) and run a business with almost 60 accounts a zturn rider and I do everything walls, trees etc. So at 17 I think he will do well. As long as you got gen. liablity for your business so incase he sends a rock through a window (has happpened sadly) YOU are covered.

3. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

???????????????????????????????????????????? Okeedokee!

4. greeneyes

How do you run a legit business & pay under the table? My customer's pay by check & I have to charge sales tax for mowing. I can't afford to pay cash & then not write off the costs. I know alot of what my partner did before our partnership was UTT, but I don't wan't to do that now. I, personally, have too much to loose.

5. greeneyes

Okay, maybe I'm too parinoid?? Does everyone pay under the table? I have liablility. Told I need workmen's comp for employees. I don't want to deal with major crap when there's an accident. They do happen! I've dealt with it in real life. I don't want to have to deal with it in business. Just asking for suggestions. Thanks. I'm new to posting, but have been reading for a while.

6. greeneyes

How do you run a legit business & pay under the table? My customer's pay by check & I have to charge sales tax for mowing. I can't afford to pay cash & then not write off the costs. I know alot of what my partner did before our partnership was UTT, but I don't wan't to do that now. I, personally, have too much to loose.

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

You need WC if you have 3 or more employees / owners. Subcontractors do not count if they are using their own equipment & or services.

8. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

In Missouri if you have more then 5 employees you have to have workman's comp. ins.

9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

ps. please dont report me to the state.

btw. AR. 18. 21 to drive truck. workers comp required, PERIOD.

ps. i wont report you to the state, i promise. :waving:

10. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Aw, but the "state" reads this forum. You are screwed.