Hiring a friend????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Newbeeee, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Newbeeee

Newbeeee LawnSite Member
    from NY

I have a close friend that wants to work with me. I would like him to be my foreman. Would be good at it. Everything I hear about hiring a freind is negative anyone have any positives on hiring a freind???????
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

No Or relative
  3. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

All of my current employees are friends. It has its ups and downs. First Respect is a huge issue with me, Some times they have and idea or plan that dose not coincide with my plan. Mind you, i do take what they say and sometimes they are correct and there plan or idea is a great one. But when it is not they tend to have trouble doing it my way and they will voice this or verbely or physicaly (ie not working as hard) It is hard to work out the boss employee situation at times also. What I did was sit them down and explain to them work is work and some times I have to be a jerk that is the way it goes and we can't let that carry over. I want all of my employees to be friends weather they were a friend before we they start working for me or if it develops out of the work relationship. I value everyones input but they just have to make them understand that your word is the last one when it comes to work related issues. You also can not cut them any slack because they are a friend of yours. If they are late then pay cut, if they are continuasly late and obveously taking advantage of your realtionship. To the curb. You have to at some point seperate work from social aspects of your life. You can not take personal aspects of peoples lives (well not always) into consideration when it comes to work. You do what is good for the company. This may sound harsh but it you start cracking on small things then the intrie thing is going to crumbel eventualy. Just stand ferm, demad respect, and your word is the last word. Just my 2 cents
  4. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

I make it a rule to NEVER, I repeat NEVER mix friends or family with business. I dont care how long you've known them ir how well you get along, sooner or later, there WILL be problems. Better to keep good friends and stay on good terms with family and hire strangers.
  5. Newbeeee

Newbeeee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Thanks for the reply. Finally someone says something positive. Why I want to hire my freind is he is experienced, and loves the outdoors like me. Been freinds since we were 8. He works a retail job that he hates. He wants to work outside and have somewhat of a normal routine. He is trying to start a family. It just worries me with all the negatives I have been hearing.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Unfortunately, these situations don't often work out. Also, if you make him a foreman, the guys under him will probably assume he got the better job because you guys are friends, not because he is better qualified. So obviously that could cause some problems as well.

An old friend called me recently looking for a job. Problem is, he never has a reliable car, so he's always breaking down on the way to work, needs to be picked up/dropped off, needs days off to work on his junk car. So I figured, even though he's a good guy, I'd be looking to fire him within a couple months. So I just told him I really didn't need any help now (LIE).

Good luck if you hire him.
  7. Newbeeee

Newbeeee LawnSite Member
    from NY

I am by myself right now and looking to hire him, work togather till we have enough biz and then make him in charge of taking care of the mowing for the week. Then hire additional employees in the summer. College, high school kids etc. For the summer probably 2 guys. Put them were they need to be Mowing if that needs to be done or help me with landscape installs. All depends on what needs to be done.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Just make sure you are up-front from the beginning that you are the head honcho and he is your employee. Lay down the ground rules as you would with anyone else. Then hopefully it'll work out.
  9. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

A very wise friend once told me "never hire someone you couldn't fire."
    Those are good words of advice.
    I went ahead and did it anyway.
    I hired a friend I'd known for years.
    I had never really worked side by side with him though.
    Well it turns out this guy was very lazy and unmotivated.
    It was tough, but he's gone now.
    Yep, never hire someone you couldn't fire.
  10. EastCoast

EastCoast LawnSite Senior Member

Mistake...... don't do it!